The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

First in first out Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi there,

I am searching for an easy way to manage a first in first out todolist.

I am a system administrator and manage my todos with omnifocus.
For each customer I have a separate folder.
And in each folder there is a project "misc" where I am collecting my todos as actions.
This works good for me. New actions are added at the bottom so that old actions are at the top.

It looks like:
Customer A (folder)
------Misc (project)
------------Todo1 (action)
------------Todo 2 (action)

So if I am asking: What is the next todo for today, I take the action at the top because it is the oldest one.
The probem: When I have an action with more than one step, I have to create a project. And this project does not fit in the action-logic.

It looks like:
Customer A (folder)
------Todo 4 (project)
------Misc (project)
------------Todo1 (action)
------------Todo 2 (action)
------Todo 3 (project)

So how do I know what todo next ?

It would help me if omnifocus would hide all projects and display only the actions in the right order.

Thank You for a tip.

Greetings, Andy.

Are you making use of the various project-control tools, like putting projects on hold or dropping them? If not, you could continue what you are doing almost unchanged. Instead of creating a project when you realize that "Set up new server" is going to be a multi-step action, just create the steps as actions, and use the Move button in the editor to move the steps under the "Set up new server" action. This creates an action group, which acts much like a project, but will have its actions shown inline in the containing project. You can even nest action groups inside another action group.

I've attached some images showing a sample project (note that I'm just using a single project to contain all of Customer A's tasks) and how it appears in a progression of checked off actions. For the first two shots, I'm viewing Remaining actions, just to show the whole thing, then I switch to viewing Available actions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0967.jpg
Views:	433
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	2097   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0968.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	2098   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0969.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	2100   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0970.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	2102   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0971.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	2103  

Thank you,

That was exactly the Solution i was Looking for.
With this way i also can Kick the Folders.

Greetings, Andy