The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Box with only three lines - the holy grail?? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hello. I'm trying to make a box, which I can do. Then I'm trying to have it only draw three lines out of four, i.e. an open box. This is useful for, like, tabs and stuff.

Any tips? I'm currently using a second white box to break the fourth wall which is leaving me with an empty feeling inside.

If I remember correctly, open shapes like this aren't supported in the current version, but we have a feature request open on 'em. If you email omnigraffle@omnigroup.com, the support ninjas can add you to that request, so the team will know it's something you'd like, as well.

thanks! i'll do that.

It's pretty easy to make your own. Copy the text below exactly and save it to an ordinary text file called OpenBox.graffleshapes. Then put this in the folder Library:Application Support:OmniGraffle:Shapes under your home folder. (You may have to create it. Then open OG and you'll see your shape next to the regular rectangle.

Code:
{
    shapes = (
	{
	    InspectorGroup = 1.5;
	    ShapeName = "OpenBox";
	    FillPath = {
		elements = (
		    {element = MOVETO; point = "{-0.5, -0.5}"; },
		    {element = LINETO; point = "{0.5, -0.5}"; },
		    {element = LINETO; point = "{0.5, 0.5}"; },
		    {element = LINETO; point = "{-0.5, 0.5}"; },
		    {element = CLOSE; }
		);
	    };
	    StrokePath = {
		elements = (
		    {element = MOVETO; point = "{-0.5, -0.5}"; },
		    {element = LINETO; point = "{-0.5, 0.5}"; },
		    {element = LINETO; point = "{0.5, 0.5}"; },
		    {element = LINETO; point = "{0.5, -0.5}"; }
		);
	    };
	}
    );
}

I tried this but I have no "Openbox" anywhere that I can determine.

Can you say exactly what you did and where you are looking? (It works for me.) Make sure that you included all the braces when you created the file, and that you gave it the right name (that it didn't get a .txt extension added, for example), and that you put it in the right place. You should see the open box next to the regular box in the shapes inspector.

I also didn't have any luck with the OpenBox shape. I put it into ~/Library/Application Support/OmniGraffle/Shapes (I needed to create the directory Shapes). I used TextEdit, made sure it was plain text (not rich), and that there were no extensions but .graffleshapes. Then I realized that Apple persists in treating us like idiots and suppresses some extensions in the finder. Using the terminal, I discovered that they appended .graffle to the file name! I fixed it and still there is no open box (after restarting OG). Perhaps I should try using an editor like emacs.

Cheers,

wn

Last edited by warrenn; 2009-02-18 at 07:07 PM..

Hmm, I just did it on this laptop and it worked for me. I used TextEdit and copied it directly from the post above. I had to get rid of the .txt extension that TextEdit added.

Make sure you select the shape tool, then look in the inspector. For me it shows up second, between the regular box and the circle.

Ah, now I see it. I was looking at the stencil. It does indeed appear in the shape tool inspector. Thanks.

wn

chris - never replied to say thanks, this has been super useful! thank you.

basil