The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Managing Lists Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEP View Post
Clickable urls work for me in the notes field in OF.

I have a "wishlist" I keep in OO which is a list of everything I need to purchase in the near future or would like to purchase at some point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong View Post
If you put the URL into the attachments section of an action, it becomes clickable.

I was also keeping lists inside OF but stopped because they were cluttering my view of stuff I needed to do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianogilvie View Post
I think that Omni has a great list-making application already: OmniOutliner (Pro). I keep plenty of checklists in OOP, and I've been linking to them from the notes field of relevant actions or projects.
Thank you all for this great idea. I have been very resistant to the idea of moving my grocery list out of OF on the theory that it represents an errand and *should* be in OF. However, I decided to give it a try. I have to say that it is working like a charm.

I have a link to an OmniOutliner "Grocery List" file in the note field of an action in OF called "Buy Groceries" in "Out - Errands" context. The OmniOutliner "Grocery List" file has a list of all the different things I am likely to buy (a list I made several years ago), and I just select the things I need from the list using the status checkbox.

It is working so well that I am going to try moving some of the other lists I maintain and keep just a link to them in OF.

I used to do something very similar to this in a program called ECCO before (a) it was orphaned, (b) I switched to Macs, and (c) I started following GTD. It is nice to be able to do it again.

As an aside, I never realized how functional OmniOutliner Pro is. I bought it to run KGTD and never really explored it until I tried out this idea.

Edit: Added MEP's comment since it was the same/similar idea.

Last edited by dhm2006; 2007-09-09 at 12:11 PM..

I will have to try this. I currently use HandyShopper on my Palm, but when it dies (and I think the battery is going), I doubt that I'll replace it with another Palm.

I'm hoping that by that time the iPhone or iTouch will be a replacement. :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsy View Post
I will have to try this. I currently use HandyShopper on my Palm, but when it dies (and I think the battery is going), I doubt that I'll replace it with another Palm.

It's funny, but when I read "when it dies" -- before I got to the parenthetical statement -- I immediately assumed you were referring to Palm the company. Just goes to show how easy it is to lose your position in the marketplace when you rest on your laurels (reminds me of Quark too).

Quote:
I spent quite some time on the web, reading about the iTouch and finally realized that it is an "entertainment" device (music, video, limited web use with one emphasis on YouTube). It doesn't support editing, doesn't have a to-do component with its calendar, and (an example of limited web use) does not support the viewing of pdf files via its browser or a stand-along app. The more I looked at it, the more it became obvious that it will not replace a PDA. I think the iPhone has many similar feature faults.

So don't "accidentally" drop your Palm, not quite yet at least!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvonk View Post
I think the iPhone has many similar feature faults.
As I understand it, the iPod Touch is essentially an iPhone without the phone. So that would be "the same feature faults".

Curt

That's what I had thought, Curt, but I think Pierre is right. We must have been reading the same blogs. :)

It sounds like they're not giving all the non-phone features to the touch to differentiate it from the iPhone. For example, there's no mail feature on the touch.

The article I read talked about Apple avoiding some mistakes they made years ago when they had many varieties of the same gizmo. I never had anything Apple until this year, so the examples meant nothing to me.

I wouldn't worry too much about the limitations of the iPhone/Touch. There's already been a substantial amount of activity involving application development without the benefit of a licensed SDK, and a lot of the already extant web apps aimed for the iPhone are getting pretty impressive (I'd like to see the ability to sync up OF with Google Calendar followed quickly by an iPhone-optimized Google Calendar skin with great todo support).

I strongly believe that some degree of third party software support will appear on the iPhone platform at some date, but that it will likely be extremely limited and require Apple approval for release (like the games you can get for the iPod which can only be acquired through iTunes). I already know that there's some promising developments being made with regards to non-Apple approved software support, so I think one way or the other, the iPhone/iPod will become a PDA platform worth owning.

Quote:
That's what I had thought, Curt, but I think Pierre is right. We must have been reading the same blogs. :)

It sounds like they're not giving all the non-phone features to the touch to differentiate it from the iPhone. For example, there's no mail feature on the touch.
Just a difference of perspective. I was lumping mail and messaging in with phone functionality. I assume people will develop (if they haven't already) webmail interfaces that work well on the Touch.

That said, I'm not ready to jump yet. It's still not enough of a PDA. I'll probably switch to whatever the current iPhone is when my newish Razr bites the dust.

Curt