The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Named entities Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I think it would be cool if OG had named entities, a facility for specifying line endpoints by entity name, and a script interface to iterate over all lines to get their endpoints as entity names.

Does anyone else think this would be a useful feature?

Absolutely, I've put in a request for this before.

It would also be great to be able to name Grouped objects, and this could would well with the Sidebar view as a means of directly editing the names, i.e. double-click a Group in the Outline to enter/change it's name.

Naturally you would also be able to search on named objects, and ideally the Sidebar would have a live search/filter box (a la iTunes), to so that naming conventions could be used to structure Objects, Layers and Canvases, for editing and review purposes.

Scripts would allow the user to summarise a file, e.g. keep a count objects sharing a name across Canvases (i.e. objects could be uniquely addressed as Canvas:ObjectName, or indeed Canvas:Layer:ObjectName), or you might insert an index listing pages (Canvases) with "Comment" boxes inserted, i.e. an inserted text-box, perhaps styled as a sticky note, with "Comment" in it's name field.

When a Name already exists on a given Canvas the entered text could be automatically incremented, providing automatic name incrementing without UI overhead (although it wouldn't be strictly chronological as older objects could be deleted, e.g. "Comment 5" with that number slot open for the next "Comment" string entered as a name.)