The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Bug Reports
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniWeb's tab drawer doesn't remember the preferred side? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Then I think you agree with my original response to you, that the situation is not as straightforward as suggested, and if there is the purported Mac OS X default to open on the right, OmniWeb successfully overrides it for many users, as I doubt Omni would continue to ship a feature that doesn't work at all. Have you tried working the issue with the support ninjas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Then I think you agree with my original response to you, that the situation is not as straightforward as suggested, and if there is the purported Mac OS X default to open on the right, OmniWeb successfully overrides it for many users, as I doubt Omni would continue to ship a feature that doesn't work at all. Have you tried working the issue with the support ninjas?
I agree wholeheartedly that Omni wouldn't continue to ship a feature that doesn't work at all. If you have somehow overridden this default behavior, please tell me how you got this preference to stick because I would DESPERATELY like to keep mine opening on the left...I just haven't figured out how to keep it that way (short of leaving the drawer open all the time).

Way to hijack a useful thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handycam View Post
Way to hijack a useful thread...
Hey, if you read the very first post, you'll see that I was responsible for starting the thread! That said, I'd happily move the discussion of the drawer elsewhere, but don't have the means to move the sub-thread out of the thread. Maybe Brian will do so (and remove this post and yours) if you ask him nicely.

Thread split. (I'll let you guys decide if you want to edit your posts or not.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sculwell View Post
I agree wholeheartedly that Omni wouldn't continue to ship a feature that doesn't work at all. If you have somehow overridden this default behavior, please tell me how you got this preference to stick because I would DESPERATELY like to keep mine opening on the left...I just haven't figured out how to keep it that way (short of leaving the drawer open all the time).
If this is happening to you, it's definitely a bug!

Just to confirm: you're setting the "Tab drawer opens on the left" setting in Tab & Window Preferences, but when you open a new tab in a new window it opens on the right instead?

What do you see if you paste this command into Terminal?

Code:
defaults read com.omnigroup.OmniWeb5 TabDrawerOnRight
Have you contacted our tech support ninjas at omniweb5@omnigroup.com?

It only happens when I quit and then restart OmniWeb...if I have the drawer set to open on the left, close the drawer (because only one window is open), the quit and restart OmniWeb, the tab drawer automatically reverts to opening on the right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post

What do you see if you paste this command into Terminal?

Code:
defaults read com.omnigroup.OmniWeb5 TabDrawerOnRight
Have you contacted our tech support ninjas at omniweb5@omnigroup.com?
I get this:

Code:
2009-09-14 21:02:36.804 defaults[5593:903] 
The domain/default pair of (com.omnigroup.OmniWeb5, TabDrawerOnRight) does not exist
and no, I haven't contacted the ninjas, as I thought this was not an OW issue, but default behavior for all drawers. Email sent.

Last edited by sculwell; 2009-09-14 at 06:07 PM..

I can easily reproduce what sculwell said (hide the drawer, relaunch, show the drawer but it's at the right instead of left)

There is another thread close to the subject :
http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=13763

And the answer from Troy
Quote:
Originally Posted by troyb View Post
This can sometimes happen if you're window during launch is too close to the side of the window. The drawer will try to be smart and open on the oposite side of the window. Closing all your windows and then opening a new one should obey your preference setting.
As you can see there is a flaw in this. And there is another one if you make your window take all the screen width (without the drawer), then open the drawer, relaunch, close the drawer. What happen ? It doesn't come back in "full" width.

Man, my grammar and spelling could use some work in that quote.

I do believe that for the most part people are just running into limitations of how the drawers behave. That said, I encourage anyone struggling with any OmniWeb drawer behavior to send our ninjas mail.

I consider unreliable placement of your tabs to be a pretty serious flaw even if it is just expected behavior for a drawer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sculwell View Post
It only happens when I quit and then restart OmniWeb...if I have the drawer set to open on the left, close the drawer (because only one window is open), the quit and restart OmniWeb, the tab drawer automatically reverts to opening on the right.
Oh, I see now: it only happens when you load a browser window from a workspace, and only if the browser window is close enough to the edge of the screen that it doesn't have room for the drawer.

Fixed for the next release (presumably v5.10.2).