The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nested actions not showing in "Next Action" Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Good afternoon all,
I sent this to support this morning and got a reply that this may be a bug, but I wanted to send it out to the community to make sure I wasn't insane:
-----------------------------
Good morning,
One of the things I’ve recently noticed about the ‘next action’ for projects, is that nested items don’t show. For example:

[ ] Call Heater Companies
. [ ] ABC company, 299-0001
. [ ] XYZ Company, 854-0001

The task ‘ABC company, 299-0001’ is not showing as a next action when I have OF configured to show ‘Available’ (for sequential projects)

Am I missing something here?

I currently have OF set up as

In Projects, show
Available

In Contexts, show
Available.

---------------------------
Has anyone gotten this to show? My concern is something won't be on my radar in a custom perspective because a nested action is not showing.

I really hope I don't have to get rid of nested actions due to this...

Thanks!
Marc

The problem is that the action group "Call Heater Companies" is not available until the contained actions have been completed, so when you only show Available actions in the Projects view, it doesn't show the action group OR the actions therein.

If you show Remaining actions in the Projects view, you'll see a grayed out Call Heater Companies, and if you drill in, you'll see the actions for the calls (which will be shown as Available).

I agree that this is confusing at first, and I think a reasonable argument might be made that OmniFocus should look past the action group being unavailable and show it in the Available view if the actions contained have at least one available action.

As for your worry about perspectives, it is not a problem. The actions are Available in this case (despite OmniFocus not showing them to you) and if you were to look through a context mode perspective (the only sort the iPhone app supports) you would see them.

If I set Projects to show Available actions, then I can confirm that a task in the same circumstances as your ABC company one does not show under Projects on the iPhone. That's a bug. The task does shows under Contexts and under appropriate perspectives. Switching to show Remaining tasks in Project mode and Available ones in Context mode causes everything to appear (or not) as expected everywhere.

Perspectives seem to ignore the "show" settings, using the view bar settings from the desktop instead.

Rather than eliminating your nested actions until there is a bug fix, would it be less disruptive to switch Projects to show Remaining? The remaining but not available actions will still be in gray.

Curt

I was just noticing this behavior myself. I don't use contexts all that much (everything would be @Desk or @Computer or whatever). I may have a couple of serial tasks to do that are related, but not big enough to be a "project". However I group them and then they disappear on the iPhone. I think this is a bug. If there is a task in a group that's available and next then it should be show as "available".

I don't know how I missed the initial thread, but it sounds like the same issue as I had Here