The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Smart arc/wedge in 5.1 beta Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
It would be helpful if the angle displayed when the blue handle is selected corresponded to the actual sector angle. Right now it seems to show the change from the starting angle in the shape when it is placed from the stencil area.

Both blue handles should show the absolute degree that they're at, based on zero being at true "north".

It would be nice to simply show the degree of the wedge itself regardless, or even a percentage for graphers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel View Post
Both blue handles should show the absolute degree that they're at, based on zero being at true "north".

It would be nice to simply show the degree of the wedge itself regardless, or even a percentage for graphers.

I used the wedge to create a 90° angle and filled its interior with a radial blend. Unfortunately, the radii were at 0° and 90° when I did this and I "lost" the little blue arc adjustment thingies under the resizing handles for the shape and can't change the angles anymore. It's an annoyance I thought you'd like to know about it.

Holding down Option and Command should get you to click through the selection handle and get at the control point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel View Post
Holding down Option and Command should get you to click through the selection handle and get at the control point.
Worked like a charm. Thanks.

I am working with 5.1 Beta 1, and I've tried to follow your discussion, but I'm afraid I'm lost. It sounds like I could use something like this feature.

My Shapes Stencil in the Common Folder looks like it has for months, I looked at the folders and it hasn't been updated since January.

I tried redownloading/reinstalling the beta. No change.

How can I confirm that I have the modified stencil? What does the shape look like on the stencil?

What I thought I'd get was a quarter circle shape that I could adjust to a three quarter circle or a 10 degree arc of a circle. Am I just misunderstanding?

HEEEEELLLLLLPPPPPP!!!!!

The arc shapes are highlighted in the attached screenshot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	arcs.jpg
Views:	511
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	692  

Okay the Shape files differ. Why didn't the upgrade give me the new stencil?

How can I get the correct stencil now?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shapes51.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	693   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shapes.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	694  

Last edited by Rivkah; 2008-09-02 at 12:01 PM.. Reason: Try to add graphics

I'd either try a fresh set of preferences, or move aside the stencils.xml file that resides in ~/Library/Application Support/OmniGraffle/Stencils/ and see if that makes any difference.

If I were you, I'd know how to try a fresh set of preferences, but I know I'm not you. And I know that I haven't a clue what you're saying. Sorry I'm so dense.

As for moving stencils.xml aside, I tried renaming it and I tried deleting it without difference. I even opened it. Surprise it's an XML file.

I'm still getting the older shape stencil. Argh!

I wrote my first program in 1967. I've met Grace Hopper, Coad, the UML folks, Gane and Sarson, and many others who left me feeling like a privileged kid going wow (and wondering what the blazes they were saying). A week ago I really thought I knew a thing or two. But this one stumped me.

Frantically, I started trying things. I eventually changed the Common Folder name to Old Common. Shazam!

Apparently when the Apple genius' recovered my MBP, he recovered the Common Folder as an actual folder not an alias. (I'm guessing that the Common Folder should be allowed to alias back to its secret location in the bowels of OG.)

I mention all this to assert (at least to myself) that I'm not a dummy. I assert that other minimally intelligent folks may do what ever it was that I done did. And that OG might need to protect itself from me.

Anyway thanks for your help and patience. Keep up the great work on OG. I hope my nibblets might help in some way.

Oh what other new gems am I missing? How would I know?