The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Slow to Open OF and Open the Settings [fixed by reducing zip files] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by omnibob View Post
1.8MB (running on a 2.4 GHz. Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM). I don't know how to get # of actions and zip files.
Didn't you have an iPhone at one point? The settings page will reveal those two numbers. Otherwise, you can install the Count Database Items script Imentioned earlier in this thread.

Quote:
I can't use the Archive function as currently implemented, because I have active projects that I need to retain completed actions from in my 'live' file, no matter how long ago the actions have been completed.

I have been manually copying over completed projects to my archive file, which helps some.
Yeah, I am in a similar situation.
Quote:
If there is/would be a way for me to be able to filter down to actions completed based on completion date, I could focus on my SAL containers, then select those actions, and also move them to my archive. That would reduce the size of my db a lot. But I don't think that filter is available.
Sure it is, it's called the Archive command :)

It should be possible to write an Applescript that takes a selected list of actions and removes everything from the selection that is newer than a specified date. You could then select one of your SAL containers, invoke the script, and drag what's left off to the corresponding spot in the archive, then delete them from the active database. I suspect the script could be enhanced to do the whole job, though I haven't tried moving stuff to the archive in Applescript, or deleting actions from the database.

Hey all, I just wanted to drop back in and mention that my synchronizations have indeed been much faster after dropping and reestablishing the link. Thought it might be worth mentioning, since it's a 3 minute fix instead of a 1 hour one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonclarke View Post
Hey all, I just wanted to drop back in and mention that my synchronizations have indeed been much faster after dropping and reestablishing the link. Thought it might be worth mentioning, since it's a 3 minute fix instead of a 1 hour one.
The main reason I describe the slower method is that a mistake simply means that it doesn't compact, whereas methods involving wiping out the database on one or more clients offer the opportunity to really screw things up.

Good point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omnibob View Post
If there is/would be a way for me to be able to filter down to actions completed based on completion date, I could focus on my SAL containers, then select those actions, and also move them to my archive. That would reduce the size of my db a lot. But I don't think that filter is available.
Bob, does this help?

Select Perspectives -> Completed items
Select View -> Grouping -> Completed

You now have a window showing all your completed actions, with the least recently completed items at the bottom. If you enter the name(s) of your single action list(s) into the toolbar search field, that'll hide the vast majority of the actions you want to leave in your database. (If you have a list with a short name like "health", it'll appear in the list.)

Still, it should be possible to do a good chunk of pruning in this view. Maybe save it as a perspective until we're able to implement the archive style that would work better for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Didn't you have an iPhone at one point?
Yes, thanks. 173 projects and 3131 actions stored in 224 zip files.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Sure it is, it's called the Archive command :)

It should be possible to write an Applescript [...]
Interesting idea, thanks.

Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Bob, does this help?

Yes, thanks, that is very helpful.

Quote:
If you enter the name(s) of your single action list(s) into the toolbar search field, that'll hide the vast majority of the actions you want to leave in your database.
I have about 50 SALs, so I'm just looking at them manually. What would help more would be to be able to sort by project/SAL.

Quote:
Bob, does this help?

Yes, thanks, that is very helpful.

Quote:
Maybe save it as a perspective until we're able to implement the archive style that would work better for you?
Done. I'll see how this goes. Thanks again.

Bob