The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Show / Print Task Notes Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have created a project that uses Task notes extensively. I am using 1.6.4 (143.29). I would like to do two things with the notes:

1. Expand the view to include all notes, rather than having to expand / contract each task note individually.

2. Print or export the notes (either in line with the task, or as a separate list) even if they are not expanded in my view.

Can someone help me with either of these challenges?

thanks

Somewhat related to this topic/request would be to have the ability to view filtered tasks based on string searches inside notes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aires View Post
Somewhat related to this topic/request would be to have the ability to view filtered tasks based on string searches inside notes...
I haven't succeeded in controlling filtering through Applescript, but here is a script which highlights all tasks whose notes contain a user entered string - expanding those notes, and collapsing all other notes:

Code:
-- Open and highlight only those notes containing a specified string

on run
	set strSearch to GetSearchString()
	if length of strSearch > 0 then

tell application id "com.omnigroup.OmniPlan"
			set oWin to front window
			set oDoc to front document
			set oProject to project of oDoc

tell oWin
				set selected tasks to {}
				set lstSeln to selected tasks
			end tell

set note expanded of every task of oProject to false
			set lstTasks to my NoteMatchTasks(oProject, strSearch)
			repeat with oTask in lstTasks
				tell oTask
					-- set filtered to true -- FAILS ...
					set note expanded to true
				end tell
			end repeat
			set selected tasks of oWin to lstTasks
		end tell
	end if
end run

on NoteMatchTasks(oProject, strSearch)
	tell application id "com.omnigroup.OmniPlan"
		set lstTasks to tasks of oProject where note ≠ ""
		set lstMatch to {}
		repeat with oTask in lstTasks
			set strNote to note of oTask
			if (offset of strSearch in strNote) > 0 then set end of lstMatch to oTask
		end repeat
		return lstMatch
	end tell
end NoteMatchTasks

on GetSearchString()
	tell (display dialog "String to search for in notes: " default answer "")
		text returned
	end tell
end GetSearchString

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebair View Post
I would like to do two things with the notes:

1. Expand the view to include all notes, rather than having to expand / contract each task note individually.

2. Print or export the notes (either in line with the task, or as a separate list) even if they are not expanded in my view.
Not possible in OmniPlan currently. There are feature requests for these in our development database so I'll add your vote to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aires View Post
Feature request added to our database. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobTrew View Post
I haven't succeeded in controlling filtering through Applescript, but here is a script which highlights all tasks whose notes contain a user entered string - expanding those notes, and collapsing all other notes:
Another great Applescript. Thanks RobTrew!

Thanks for the feature request - printing the entire note field.

For those who do have long notes be sure to turn on the View>row text>always show full text if you want to print out all notes.

Thanks Omni

Last edited by jes; 2010-05-02 at 04:41 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobTrew View Post
Hi Rob (or other applescript Ninja's). This would be a useful script for me (love the notes) but can't get it to run with OP2. I've changed the App Call to 'OPla' to get through first error but now stuck with this error.

Code:
error "OmniPlan got an error: Can’t set note expanded of every task of project of document \"do this\" to false." number -10006 from note expanded of every task of project of document "do this"
Any ideas/fixes would be greatly appreciated, (i'm bit of a noob to Omni ASscript and AScript in general)

Thanks

Olly

PS. Omnininjas - Another Vote for a Filter by 'Note' - would be the most useful features I can think of for simple flexibility.

Might be an Applescript bug in OP 2 — works fine in OP 1. Use Help->Send Feedback to submit a bug report or feature request.