The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > Applying OmniFocus
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Are Your Projects in Folders? Help My System Out ..(Pics Included) Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
For the longest time I had a few folders to sort my projects out in OF, which usually were houses in one of the following folders:

Health
Wealth
Love
Macbook
University

Pretty easy stuff, Love dealing with all friends, girlfriends, family an other relationship stuff.

Then not wanting to have just a few folders containing ALL of my projects I made 2 folders to house a set of the folders listed above. The 2 new main folders were titled "Active" & "On Hold."

Wanting to not have too much on my plate and get overwhelmed, I would place projects/actions that aren't about to blow up in the On Hold folder, at my discretion. The Active folder has all active projects, with child folders of "Health, Wealth, Love, MacBook, University." That way a project to call my dad would be housed in the "Love" folder and not next to a "Jogging" project in the Health child folder.

The Focus folder is where I'll drag and drop active projects that are already in the Active folder, but are very important for me..i've been implementing this for a day now without success of tackling these projects/actions any faster.

I'm really just playing around with folders right now, messing around with them at my weekly reviews to see what sticks and what doesnt. So far I do enjoy having the On Hold folder, which allows me to not have too much on my plate in active lists at any one time...kinda like a spot for upcoming projects to rest before they're presented in prime time for me. I think having an Active folder may go hand in hand with the On Hold folder, but at times feel I have too many folders in each of these parent folders..not to mention what i'm attempting to accomplish with that Focus folder.

*Edit: As for the Someday/Maybe stuff; I recently added subfolders which I very much enjoy, as they specify specific areas I may want to venture into the future.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2010-08-13 at 12.26.20 AM.png
Views:	627
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	1526   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2010-08-13 at 12.26.45 AM.png
Views:	592
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	1527   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2010-08-13 at 12.26.13 AM.png
Views:	596
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	1528   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2010-08-13 at 12.26.04 AM.png
Views:	586
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	1529   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2010-08-13 at 12.25.40 AM.png
Views:	578
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	1530  

I don't understand why you'd set it up like that. You can put individual projects in many of those states. So just have your set of folders, and use the project status settings to make the projects themselves valid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatOne View Post
I don't understand why you'd set it up like that. You can put individual projects in many of those states. So just have your set of folders, and use the project status settings to make the projects themselves valid.
I created both the Active and On Hold folders to not be overwhelmed by all my projects at one time. I do get what you're saying, with these folders its more of a mind set i'm creating to relax my mind, when in actuality they don't need to rest in all these folders...but I guess i'm trying to prevent the chaos of running un-organized.

I use perspectives to get this piece of mind. I have more projects on-hold than active. I only view the on-hold projects in my weekly review, and then only to decide if any need to become active.

I'm not saying that's the right way. Do what ever helps you have peace of mind and get things done that you want to get done.

Curt

Curt, how do you differentiate On Hold and Someday/Maybe?

Do you have them both set to "On Hold" in OF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by emory View Post
Curt, how do you differentiate On Hold and Someday/Maybe?

Do you have them both set to "On Hold" in OF?
I keep Someday/Maybe projects in OmniOutliner. Largely because that's where they were before OF existed, but I also like keeping OF focused on projects I've actually committed to doing.

Curt