The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Share Your Perspectives? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I've been (mentally) away from OmniFu for a few weeks now, and need to get back to using it effectively. [Vacation, start of school, new social obligations, and now two sick kids ... coming soon: beginning of religious school, after school activities, visit from father-in-law, leading into 2 kid birthdays, and the rest of the annual autumn madness. I need OF to help me out!]

I see that Perspectives has finally become a useful tool -- but I'm at a bit of a loss for how to set it up to work for me.

So ... could some of you who use Perspectives well share your different Perspectives, including enough info for me to set them up and try them out? I'm sure others would like to see this as well.

Thanks!

--Liz

Basically Liz, Perspectives are 'saved views.'

I don't have many, but the ones I have are pretty solid.

1) Flagged view.
I'm in contexts, I have the ribbon open with the 'remaining' tasks and 'flagged' tasks.

This lets me see all the 'hot' items that I'm trying to add extra attention to this week.

2) Due Date
Again, I'm in the context view
Ribbon open, Grouped based on "Due", with all my remaining actions.

This lets me see all those things that have due dates associated with them; making it easy to make sure that I get done items that are time sensitive (and helping me see if I've missed anything)

Here are my current saved perspectives:
  • Tickler's -- Context view, available actions, grouped by start date
  • Urgent -- Context view, remaining actions, grouped by due date
  • Important -- Context view, flagged actions, grouped by context
  • Active Project Review -- Project view, active projects, grouped by next review date
  • * Home Actions -- Context view, just contexts that are available when I'm at home.
  • * Work Actions -- Context view, just contexts that are available when I'm at work.
  • * Errands -- Context view, just contexts that are available when I'm out and about.
  • * Traveling, no network -- Context view, contexts that are available in airports or coffee shops without free networking
  • * Traveling, with network -- like previous, but with net access
  • Someday/Maybe Review -- This is an experimental perspective. I'm hoping that eventually perspectives will save Outline Search values, and that Outline Searches will include folder names. At that point this perspective will show all of my inactive, someday-maybe folders.

* A recent regression in OF caused perspectives to stop saving the selected contexts. Because of this the perspectives marked with * are not currently useful.

Curt

Thanks, this will get me started.

Anyone else?

--Liz

Curt, I saw that you mentioned the regression in another post. Any word if this is a temporary regression? Your *'d contexts would be amazingly useful.

My most useful perspective is a focus on a project callled "morning routine" in the context view. Ribbon sorted by context, name, next action. All of the following are repeating actions.
  • do Next Review in OmniFocus
  • empty main office mail box
  • empty tickler file
  • empty work-home xfer folder
  • process and clear work voice mail
  • process and clear cell phone voice recorder, voicemail, text messages
  • process and clear digital voice recorder
  • process office in-box
  • process computer in-box
  • process desk inbox
  • process email
  • process index card notes or car scraps
  • process OmniFocus inbox
  • process yojimbo- untagged items
  • review calendar
  • scan contents of the " to scan" folder
  • mark projects hot projects with flag

Curt, I was trying to implement this perspective:

"Urgent -- Context view, remaining actions, grouped by due date"

I use your Populate Template Placeholders script, so I have a hundred NA's that I actually don't need to do that show up. Where do you store the templates so they don't muck up what you have to do?

Thanks,
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
Curt, I was trying to implement this perspective:

"Urgent -- Context view, remaining actions, grouped by due date"

I use your Populate Template Placeholders script, so I have a hundred NA's that I actually don't need to do that show up. Where do you store the templates so they don't muck up what you have to do?
I keep my templates in a Template folder. The folder itself is marked inactive, so if my projects view is set to Available or Pending, then the templates are suppressed.

Curt

Once again, you are the man! I didn't realize that you could mark a folder as inactive. Every day I get more and more excited about OmniFocus!

edit. . . hmm- I'm not finding out how to mark a folder as inactive. Still searching.

edit 2— the only way I found to do it is by right clicking on the folder and de-selecting active. It works, but it seems like it would be more consistent if it was an option in the inspector.

Last edited by steve; 2007-09-16 at 10:21 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton View Post
A recent regression in OF caused perspectives to stop saving the selected contexts. Because of this the perspectives marked with * are not currently useful.
It appears that this regression is fixed in build 91354. Thanks, Omniscians!

(Note that the selected contexts only change if you are in Project View and open a perspective for Context View. I think that's a bug and have reported it.)

Curt

Last edited by curt.clifton; 2007-09-16 at 10:51 AM.. Reason: Caveat

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton View Post
...Omniscians!...
Yours?
You are brilliant.