The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Flexible printing options and other remarks Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I recently started to make some serious use of OP and I must say I have a number of remarks and suggestions.

On a fairly large project printing results in a slowdown/beachball on my machine (12" PB 1.5 Ghz 1.25 Gb). The current settings for printing also resulted in an unrealistically high number of sheets (200) and reducing the time span to print takes ages (due to slow response).

Assigning multiple staff members to a task divides the time needed for this task by the number of staff. In my opinion this is in several cases not the most logical option, e.g. for meetings, travelling, training,... is there an option to disable this behaviour?

I observed a consistent crash (which doesn't result in the CrashCatcher to be launched) when trying to change the % a staff member is working on the project. Is anyone else observing this?

Hi Aaike,

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaike
On a fairly large project printing results in a slowdown/beachball on my machine (12" PB 1.5 Ghz 1.25 Gb). The current settings for printing also resulted in an unrealistically high number of sheets (200) and reducing the time span to print takes ages (due to slow response).
That's a lot of paper! Is your paper size "Post-It" or something like that? No? Oh well, can you send us a bowdlerized file?

Quote:
Assigning multiple staff members to a task divides the time needed for this task by the number of staff. In my opinion this is in several cases not the most logical option, e.g. for meetings, travelling, training,... is there an option to disable this behaviour?
Tasks are either fixed effort or fixed duration. Since OmniPlan is primarily for managing what I'll call the "softscape" or your project schedule, the default is fixed effort. Just click on the little icon that looks like a couple people next to the duration field in the Task Information inspector. This will lock duration and unlock effort, giving the desired effect.

Quote:
I observed a consistent crash (which doesn't result in the CrashCatcher to be launched) when trying to change the % a staff member is working on the project. Is anyone else observing this?
So you're typing something in the "Units" field of the Resource Information inspector? I can't seem to tickle a problem there. Can you send us the file via the Help -> Send Feedback... menu item and give us some steps to follow? Also, people use the term "crash" a bit loosely for a developers taste... are you getting the beachball cursor? With a very large project, it may be that you've found a case where performance is... poor. And giving up on OmniPlan ever finishing the job.

Thanks.

-Tom