The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

How to get documents into a word processor? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekM View Post
So the problem with word processors is that they don't have true columns. What they do is flow your text into the other columns but it's all just one column. You can't insert a row and have it make space in each column. Are you requesting multiple columns for word processors because you want to use a spreadsheet and will use whatever app you can get it into? Or how do you create such documents from scratch in the word processor? Using a table?

Also, as far as PDF goes, I assume everyone is expecting it to be a printable PDF form? Meaning it is laid out for print with correct font size and page breaks and all? (The app isn't designed with print layout in mind) Or is a single page PDF of your whole document, no matter what the size of it, all you need?
Not to discount jasonact's needs in the slightest but I'd be careful with bringing the outline in as a table. It would be something that would require deconstruction (easy enough in Word) for those that don't want it.

I know that Omni probably wants to avoid the slippery-slope of option overload but with both PDF and doc export you could always give the user an option on export. Some simple and clever options for PDF might be just what the doctor ordered (fit to page size, wide/portrait, etc). It's basically the same kinds of issues you deal with when printing and companies don't usually pull a deer in headlights with print mechanics.

I have created some nice outlines for documents using Omnioutliner.

It is very frustrating that I cannot get these into MS Word via .doc or rtf.

This really limits the usefulness of the outlines if they can't be used as part of a broader workflow. In fact, it means I can't use the outlines at all.

The most important aspect of an export would be to preserve the hierarchy of points - even a nested list would be better than nothing.

I hope this issue is fixed as I am a huge fan of products such as Omnifocus and I want to love this program too!

Hello,

.docx support on iPad should be enough.

Perhaps export the document as a image of some kind (which can include pdf , just whole page is ok) that can be attached to tasks in OmniFocus on the iPad.

/Michael Grunditz

I would love a PDF that would fit the screen of the iPad so you could use your outline for public speaking. An 8.5 x 11 one would make that difficult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by micken View Post
Hello,

.docx support on iPad should be enough.

Perhaps export the document as a image of some kind (which can include pdf , just whole page is ok) that can be attached to tasks in OmniFocus on the iPad.
I wouldn't be so keen on just whole page as pdf option. I've been having this problem in iThoughtsHD: the mindmap / outline often gets sufficiently large that the type becomes way to small to be easily read. In such cases, the pdf print out becomes unusable as "speaker's notes". So, the ability at least to print out over more than one page is highly important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by britbites View Post

This really limits the usefulness of the outlines if they can't be used as part of a broader workflow. In fact, it means I can't use the outlines at all.

The most important aspect of an export would be to preserve the hierarchy of points - even a nested list would be better than nothing.

I hope this issue is fixed as I am a huge fan of products such as Omnifocus and I want to love this program too!
Indeed brit. I don't want it to be a GTD app (or even care if it integrates with OF), nor do I want to print my outlines from OO or even export them as PDF.

I just want OO to be an outliner, an outline's purpose is to act as a basis for a larger written document. That I cannot do this very simple and primary task with OO means that it is in effect useless.

I also have OF and OG as well as OGS for the iPad and while I'm not a fan of OGS (centre text in labels? what do you mean I cant?) I do like other Omni products (on mac as well as iPad). I so want OO to be the best OUTLINER.

Hi - I'm new to using OO and the forum but have a simple question. Sometimes I just want to copy an entry from one document in OO to another (like creating an archive doc to move completed or postponed items to). I haven't found a way to do that. Am I missing something. I see posts about copy / paste not there to get info out of OO but just between OO docs is an issue too?? Thanks for any help.

Welcome to the forums, spinnej - just click in the white space to the left of a row to leave edit mode and select it. (Drag-select works in the gutter, too.)

Once you have the rows selected, you can copy as per usual. Click in the same spot in the other document to select the row you want to paste the items underneath. (You may need to adjust their indent level after you paste - "underneath" just refers to the vertical position in the document.)

Hope this helps!

Oh, for the love of... this is the OmniOutliner for iPad forum, not the "for Mac" one. Thanks for the heads up, Bill. ;-)

Copy/Paste for rows isn't in there yet, but it's coming in an update. (I'm not sure when we'll have the release ready to submit to Apple, but the feature request on this is marked as "fixed" in our development database.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by britbites View Post

I just exported an outline to .txt and opened it in OpenOffice. Then I saved it into Word. It kept the indents, not the styles