The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sorting Actions... Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi there,

Maybe this is a stupid question and I'm just missing something but I can't find a way to sort actions within projects. My sort options at the top sort my projects by due date for example, but how do I then sort the actions inside the projects by due date too? This would seem a fairly standard need but I can't work out how to do it.

Any help greatly appreciated! THank you :)

Adam

OK so I should probably read the FAQ First :)...

Q. Why don't we sort the tasks within a Project?

A. We preserve the order you put them into, even for parallel projects. Since the basic priority methodology in getting things done is to put the important tasks at the top of whatever project they're in, we want to preserve that. (You can get a sorted task list in context view, and you can focus context view on particular projects.)We're still discussing what we should ultimately be doing here. The thinking behind the current behavior is that folks using the quick entry window may be distracted or trying to get back to whatever else they're doing asap, and that mis-keyed projects or contexts were more likely.

I still don't see why you can't allow this functionality - for those that don't strictly follow GTD or want for example to send a report to someone else of the items in this order.

You can sort the actions-look at this recent thread for the how-to. The OP in that thread was asking about sorting projects in the sidebar, but if you put the focus inside a project in the main outline and follow the steps discussed, you can sort actions.

It's mentioned in that thread, and worth repeating here, that sorting with the Edit menu commands is not the same as a temporary sort using the View Bar. In other words, if you want the actions to remain sorted by due date, use the sort options under the Edit menu. If you want a temporary sort for a report, use the View bar to sort the actions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Jones View Post
You can sort the actions-look at this recent thread for the how-to. The OP in that thread was asking about sorting projects in the sidebar, but if you put the focus inside a project in the main outline and follow the steps discussed, you can sort actions.

It's mentioned in that thread, and worth repeating here, that sorting with the Edit menu commands is not the same as a temporary sort using the View Bar. In other words, if you want the actions to remain sorted by due date, use the sort options under the Edit menu. If you want a temporary sort for a report, use the View bar to sort the actions.

'Edit/Sort by date due' is helpful but I find it unintuitive that undated actions (i.e. ones without an assigned start or due date) sort to the top of the lists instead of the bottom.

That gives them implied prominence over dated items - which is quite the opposite of what I intend by not dating them.

I have to manually drag them to the bottom to overcome this - or am I missing an obvious solution?

Steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjn View Post
'Edit/Sort by date due' is helpful but I find it unintuitive that undated actions (i.e. ones without an assigned start or due date) sort to the top of the lists instead of the bottom.
This is fixed in the latest sneaky peek build of 1.6.

Excellent! 1.6 ahoy....... (the usual sneaky peek caveats fully understood!)