The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Assign color to Subscribed Calendar? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi all,

I just updated to OF iPhone 1.7 and tried to setup my calendar export (had it running before but I had to reset that).

So I did all the steps discribed here:
http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=13131

I'm using WebDAV for that purpose and everything went fine.
- Sync from OF iPhone to WebDAV -> ok
- setting up Calendar export -> ok
-subscribed calendar showing up under ical on iphone -> ok

My problem now is, that the color of the subscribed calendar is the same than my Standard-iCal-Calendar. How can I assign a certain color to the subscribed calendar? Since I'm now used to the main calendar color I'd not like to change that. But the subscribed calendar does not show up in iCal itself. I set up a seperat subscribed calendar for iCal on the mac.

I hope my discription is clear enough for you forum-members to understand my problem. And I have the feeling the solutino might be more on apple part since they seem to not allow what I'm looking for (screw apple for their restrictions that seem to be increasing from day to day!).

The color of the calendar isn't actually stored in the .ics file, so far as I can see. The iPhone just assigns the colors in order of addition of the calendar and restarts the cycle if you have more than 5 or 6 calendars. If you want your calendar for OmniFocus reminders to be a different color, first go remove it by turning off the feature and deleting the calendar from your settings in the Mail, Contacts, and Calendars settings page. Then go to the http://www.apple.com/downloads/macos...index_top.html
page and subscribe to a calendar or two. Now turn the calendar export in OmniFocus back on, sync, and go to the calendar. If you are happy with the color your reminder calendar was assigned, you can go and delete those other calendars you subscribed to. Otherwise, delete the OmniFocus calendar again, subscribe to another calendar, and try again.

The rant about Apple's "restrictions" is pointless, IMO. There is no restriction here, there's just a missing feature (choosing the color that a given calendar uses in the iPhone calendar app) that no one has implemented yet.

The sequence that colors are assigned is: Red, Orange, Blue, Green, Purple, then repeat Red... I cycled through until I got the purple for OmniFocus reminders.

ok, pretty unsatisfying. What if I have more than 5 calendars? with those colors already being in use. what if the subscribed calendar on my mac is set to black?

and yes the rant about apple is not useless because I'm actually perfectly correct about apple giving users the least possible control over all processes happening on the device they bought. starting from locking iphone/ipods to a software (itunes) and coming with it the itunes store and again coming with that a valid credit card (! - really? to use a phone? well, if you want apps on it), up to not letting me choose a custom color for my iphone calendars.

why is that? you really think it's because noone implented it yet? and why is that? because apple can't afford enough software developers?

apple is not interested in giving the user freedom of choice, actually the opposite is the case

think about it.

Last edited by FatalError; 2010-07-11 at 02:23 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatalError View Post
again coming with that a valid credit card (! - really? to use a phone? well, if you want apps on it)
Not true at all. Go buy an iTunes gift card for cash and use it to set up your account. You can even buy them at a discount — I bought all of my iPad apps at about 80 cents on the dollar!

Quote:
why is that? you really think it's because noone implented it yet? and why is that? because apple can't afford enough software developers?

apple is not interested in giving the user freedom of choice, actually the opposite is the case

think about it.
Good point! Why not throw off your shackles and switch to Android and Linux?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatalError
No, that's not right. No one is forcing you to buy into the Apple ecosystem. If you're not satisfied, you have the freedom to choose a different product. There are plenty of competitors.

-Dennis

Last edited by Toadling; 2010-07-11 at 03:10 PM..

ok, let's not move to flame wars.

- I'm using iTunes gift cards (and I admit, I'm not sure about the necessity of a credit card for an account creation but I sincerely though it was one)
- when I bout the 3G unlocked there weren't that many alternatives
- I'm thinking about moving to another platform (evo, droid x, ...) because of the reasons mentinoed earlier for about a year now and they are becoming more attractive from day to day
- I'm not earning enought to buy a new phone for about 600€ every 6 months

and the result remains: initial question: colors can't be definid on calendars on the iphone, because apple forgot(???) to implement that functinoality.

oh and speaking of, also for iCal calendars: evenets can't be assign to a different calendar once they are created. and again, you are telling me because apple forgot (???) to implement this.

talking about basic functionality for a calendar app.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatalError

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadling View Post
No, that's not right. No one is forcing you to buy into the Apple ecosystem. If you're not satisfied, you have the freedom to choose a different product. There are plenty of competitors.

-Dennis
You give not a singe argument, why that is not the case. me being able to choose what phone I buy is not related to what I said concerning the way apple thinks about it's customers.

Last edited by FatalError; 2010-07-12 at 01:31 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatalError View Post
- I'm not earning enought to buy a new phone for about 600€ every 6 months
If you can't afford to recover from a mistaken choice, isn't that more reason to be careful about your choice before spending the money?
Quote:
and the result remains: initial question: colors can't be definid on calendars on the iphone, because apple forgot(???) to implement that functinoality.
No. The result remains that Apple has yet to provide you any convenient user interface to choose the color used for a subscribed calendar (the colors for MobileMe calendars are synced by MobileMe). I told you how you can do it with some inconvenience. No one says they forgot to do it, though not being part of the group that worked on the calendar, I can't say for sure. It may well have been judged less important than some other feature that they did deliver. Most features on the iPhone that are similar to features on the Mac have fewer options and capabilities. It is a less powerful device, with a smaller user interface, and it hasn't been around as long.

Quote:
oh and speaking of, also for iCal calendars: evenets can't be assign to a different calendar once they are created. and again, you are telling me because apple forgot (???) to implement this.

talking about basic functionality for a calendar app.
That has been added in iOS 4. If your conspiracy theory about Apple not wanting you to have that functionality is correct, why would they do so?

People who don't do software development (or any other form of product engineering) for a living sometimes don't realize that it is a series of tradeoffs and that there is rarely time, money, and manpower to do every possible feature someone might want. There are all sorts of little features I would like in OmniFocus that aren't as important to the majority of OmniFocus users. Does the fact that Omni doesn't implement all the features I want, when I want them, mean that I should be complaining about how they are taking away my choices?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
If you can't afford to recover from a mistaken choice, isn't that more reason to be careful about your choice before spending the money?
I already wrote why I made that decision and why (at that time) the desicion wasn't wrong. I still like the iPhone platform and am not considering it a mistaken choice, but in the 2 years I've been using it, I have startet to see it more critical. That's all. And I applaud the alternatives becoming stronger in the past few months.

Quote:
No. The result remains that Apple has yet to provide you any convenient user interface to choose the color used for a subscribed calendar (the colors for MobileMe calendars are synced by MobileMe). I told you how you can do it with some inconvenience. No one says they forgot to do it, though not being part of the group that worked on the calendar, I can't say for sure. It may well have been judged less important than some other feature that they did deliver. Most features on the iPhone that are similar to features on the Mac have fewer options and capabilities. It is a less powerful device, with a smaller user interface, and it hasn't been around as long.
Agreed.
Quote:
That has been added in iOS 4.
Which is great.

And the last bit is true as well. It's always a compromise between available resources and feature priorities. Sure. But I also stick to my point that many of Apples moves lately give me a strange feeling.

And as I wrote: I still like my good old 3G and it's for products like OF that I'm not moving (yet).