The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Shortcut to create Projects in nestled folders Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
There is a shortcut to create projects from the Quick Entry box, by holding down COM when you press enter.

But what if you have a lot of folders in your OF structure, how would you do it then?

For example, I have two folders: Private and Work. In the Work folder I have one folder for a client, eg "Apple".
Now we are starting a new project; "The hologram trackpad", and I want to add a task to that project.

So, instead of opening OF, and creating The hologram trackpad in the Apple folder, is there a shortcut from the Quickentry box to do this?

Just type in the full path for the project, then command-enter to create it. You can't create a new folder doing this, but you can put new projects in existing folders. Typing Work:Example command-enter will make a project called Example in your Work folder.

One thing that sometimes trips folks up here is that you do *not* want to put spaces on either side of the colon. ("Work : Example" won't give you the results you want, in other words.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
One thing that sometimes trips folks up here is that you do *not* want to put spaces on either side of the colon. ("Work : Example" won't give you the results you want, in other words.)
Have you tried it recently? It seems to do the right thing for me. Perhaps the engineers put in the modicum of code needed to handle that situation in a user-friendly fashion.

It's also worth noting that even if you've changed your separator to be something else, ":" is what works when specifying a new nested project or context on the fly like this. Maybe this is what you were thinking of, Brian...