The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Problem adding SShot to Q. Entry window [A: assign keyb. shortcut for Grab service] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi there,

I did some research but apparently no one has this problem.
I want to add a screenshot out of OF to an action and I get an error, that the service cannot be used, because "Grab" doesnŽt deliver valid data.

Can someone help me what to do ?!

Happy to help, but can you clarify whether you're trying to place a screenshot into OmniFocus (as an attachment) or taking a screenshot *of* OmniFocus?

Brian, that's the error message you get (approximately) if you use the Grab service while in OmniFocus...

Laucha, easiest thing to do is use cmd-shift-3 (for the whole screen) or cmd-shift-4 (for a selection of the screen) to grab the screen capture. If you just want a certain window, do cmd-shift-4 and then tap the space bar. You'll get a file on your Desktop called Picture <something> where the value of <something> depends on which version of Mac OS X you are using. You can then drag that file into the notes field of an OmniFocus action.

Whpalmer4 youŽre right !

Thanks for the workaround but is that a know issue ?!
IŽd like to use the offered features without running on errors and keep workarounds in mind for a long time.

Just for my own enlightenment (and maybe that of others), I'm very familiar with cmd-shift-4 for screen shots but I'm not familiar with Grab. A little googling makes me think that both are built into Mac OS. Is Grab the name of the feature/application/utility and cmd-shift-4 (and 3) is a just a keyboard command (meaning there are other ways to access it and THOSE are what aren't working in conjunction with OF)? Or is Grab something completely different from cmd-shift-4?

TIA

Grab is an Apple app in the Applications/Utilities folder. It provides several screen capturing services under OS X's service menu.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Command-Shif-4 shortcut and Grab used the same underlying frameworks to take screen shots, but it would seem there are at least some small differences in the implementation.

-Dennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laucha View Post
Whpalmer4 youŽre right !

Thanks for the workaround but is that a know issue ?!
IŽd like to use the offered features without running on errors and keep workarounds in mind for a long time.
It's user error, I'm afraid :-)

You have to have the insertion point in a field which accepts rich text format when you invoke the Grab service. If you are in a note, it will work, and if you are in an action or project name, it will not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
It's user error, I'm afraid :-)

You have to have the insertion point in a field which accepts rich text format when you invoke the Grab service. If you are in a note, it will work, and if you are in an action or project name, it will not.
I cannot confirm this. I get the error independent from the insertion point.

Laucha, you're not alone. I'm getting the exact same error message. At first I thought it was because I futzed with the terminal, and changed the default format and location for screen grabs, but now having returned them to the defaults, I still get the error message. And as for the "insertion point" explanation, this can't be right anyway. Grab captures image data from the screen, not text data... a fix or explanation would be great if anyone comes across one...

Sorry, I misunderstood the previous point about the placement of the insertion point, so my remark re that was offbase. However, I too find that the placement of the insertion point in a RTF field does not overcome the problem.