The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Show ONLY due items? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hey, what a cool produc this is shaping up to be. One thing I am confused by though is the view bar and how to set it. In the absence of any documentation it is confusing as heck....

For example, one thing I really need to be able to do is easily toggle between showing ONLY DUE-TODAY-OR PRIOR-TO-TODAY ITEMS THAT ARE NOT COMPLETED and ALL COMPLETED ITEMS. It seems like there must be some kind of view bar voodoo to make this work but the view bar leaves me a little cold, intuition-wise.

Thanks
Michael

Hi Michael, I'm not sure exactly what you mean, but for the first item, try setting your view bar (left to right) to

Due, Due, Available, Any, All

And, for the second, I think you can use

Completed, Completed, Completed, Any, All

Note that from what I can tell, the Context mode only shows actions from Active projects, not from Completed projects, so if you want to see *all* the actions from *all* your projects, you will want to be in Project mode rather than Context mode.

In that case, in Project mode, you should set the filter to Completed Projects, and then you might use (left to right)

Completed, Completed, All, Any, All

Once you've set up a view as you'd like it, save it as a Perspective. You can then toggle among your perspectives as needed (you can add a keyboard shortcut, or add it to the toolbar for single-click access).

Hey thanks, for the feedback. no, those settings don't do what i want. Basically I want to have one view that shows me ONLY tasks that are due today or prior to today, that are not completed. In other words, I don't want to see things that are due 2 days from now, or things that have no due date. I tried your suggestion due, due, available, any, all and that still shows me items due in the future and items with no due date.

I might have projects that have 6 sequential tasks in them, and let's say task #1 and task #2 have due dates (let's say 7/4/07) and tasks #3-5 do not, because I can't set a due date for them until the previous tasks have been accomplished. But task # 6 does have a due date, let's say 7/20/07. In my ideal scenario, I would be able to see in one perspective ALL the tasks in the project, complete or incomplete; in another perspective all the incomplete tasks whether or not they have a due date; and in a third, which I would use most often, ONLY tasks that are due on THAT DAY OR WERE DUE PRIOR TO THAT DAY that are INCOMPLETE.

So in my example, if I completed task #1 but not task #2 and on 7/5 I looked at my first perspective (ALL TASKS) I would see:
Task # 1 due 7/4 (completed)
Task # 2 due 7/4
Task #3-5 (no due date)
Task # 6 due 7/20/07

My second perspective (ONLY INCOMPLETE) would look like this:
Task #2 due 7/4
Task #3-5 (no due date)
Task #6 due 7/20/07

My third perspective (ONLY INCOMPLETE, DUE ON OR PRIOR TO TODAY, WITH DUE DATE ONLY) would give me:
Task #2 due 7/4

Does this make sense?

I think the closest thing that you can get to what you want would be grouping remaining tasks by due date, then collapsing (by clicking the little triangle next to the group name) the groups that refer to future due dates or "none," in order to hide actions in those lists.

Unfortunately, I don't think Perspectives save the state of collapsed or expanded groups as of now.

I thought that might be the case. I used to be able to do it in Outlook (which of course I don't use anymore) only by entering in some complicated code. It seems like such an obvious thing to be able to do, at the least showing only items due on or prior to the date you're on.

From a user-interface point of view, I don't understand why when I select items that are "due" I get not only items that are view right now, but also items that are due a week from now, and items that have no due date at all. Neither of these later twp are "due" in any sense so I don't think they should show up when I'm filtering to see due tasks. It just seems counter-intuitive.

But then again, I find the view bar confusing anyway. No doubt there is excellent documentation on it yet to come, but as it is it doesn't always due what I expect.

What's happening is that the first couple of selectors over the right pane (Group and Sort) are about arranging, not filtering, actions - this is why, I think, Omni stopped calling the View Bar the "Filter Ribbon."

The documentation you're waiting for will come, as you mention, but in the meantime perhaps what you should ask Omni for is this new feature: In the middle View Bar selector, a "Due and overdue" option. Since that's one of the selectors that actually does filter, it seems like the place one could put the function for which you are asking.

This might not be what you want, but I use iCal task view to look at all the items that are due today or past due.

As it is, OF doesn't really have the filter that would allow me to do this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksrhee View Post
This might not be what you want, but I use iCal task view to look at all the items that are due today or past due.

As it is, OF doesn't really have the filter that would allow me to do this.
As Craig said, grouping and sorting by due date and then collapsing the sections for future due dates allows you to do this. It might be faster to "Collapse All" and then expand today and any past due sections.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianogilvie View Post
As Craig said, grouping and sorting by due date and then collapsing the sections for future due dates allows you to do this. It might be faster to "Collapse All" and then expand today and any past due sections.
Yes, we know, but I don't think this is not what he was asking for. iCal automatically does this w/o any intervention from the user if you set up the preference to show due items for the dates shown.

Michael,

I think the function detailed by Ken here might be what you are looking for.

http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthre...5362#post25362

Regards,
Sam