The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Number of reviews showing on menu entry? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Just coming to OF and *loving* it.

Was waiting for the Review option to become active; to show a number the way Forecast or Flagged does. Didn't so today I went in and hey, there they are.

This setup would (will!) have me check daily there *if* there is something up for review or not.

Wouldn't it be nicer if there was some kind of indication that there are reviews waiting to be done?

First off, welcome to the forums!

You know, I actually never noticed the lack of a badge there. I haven't actually spoken to the folks that designed that feature yet, but I suspect that's intentional. (I'll post again if I turn out to be wrong on this!)

An advantage of the current approach is that it helps separate your planning-mode from your doing-mode. The two activities require separate mindsets and mixing them tends to produce sub-optimal outcomes. The items we currently badge are somewhat urgent - "hey this is due soon or overdue". A "needs review" badge isn't quite at the same level - in most cases that would fall into the "important but not urgent" box.

That said, I could imagine a generic "hey, you haven't reviewed in a while" badge popping up there after some period of time, to encourage folks to develop a good habit. Would that work for your purposes?

Personally, I would find a "you have X projects to review" badge more distracting than helpful, but I'll be happy to write up a feature request for that if it's the only thing that would work for you... Thanks!

Okay, checked in with the designer, who mentioned that adding that badge would also require a preference to turn the badge off. (Some folks just don't care about reviewing at all.) Instead, we ask folks to work reviewing into their workflow.

Designer handles this by adding a weekly-repeating "review projects" action, which insures that the task shows up as a due item, with a badge.

(Awesome question, by the way. Thanks!)

Someone not interested in reviewing (crazy to throw away one of the best features of GTD, IMO, but whatever works) might well want the Review item out of the sidebar, too. Too bad that probably means a preference, eh? :-)

Actually, a badge would work really well for me (even though it hadn't occurred before)

You could then set daily projects to be reviewed daily instead of flagging them.

I'd really like a badge showing the reviews. The recurring action would work but only to form a new habit: checking daily for reviews. See, I like the idea of having some projects appear for review and some not; the idea of spreading out the review.

A reminder? No, that doesn't solve the "problem". The way it is setup now there may or may not be a project waiting for review today. It's anybody's guess. Only way to find out is click on it every day.

Not too hard but hey, why not ask for the sky, right? :)