The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

1.7 Perspective Changes (and the thinking behind them) Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hello Guys,

First off the good, I love OmniFocus, as someone who is diagnosed with ADHD and who used to have very big problems with processing information and organisational skills, I've used GTD/OmniFocus to great effect and the results have quite literally been life changing. I'll save all that for a future post.

But the upgrade to 1.7 has been the biggest ball ache for me today.

And what really surprises me is the lack of documentation or warning from Omni, something I just don't expect from you guys.

First, custom toolbar gone. No biggy I thought, skitch screen shot and add the icons back to the specific perspectives.

Then I realised only around half of my Perspectives had been imported, after searching around on the forum I found this: -
http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=13599

And added my perspectives back in and they simply don't behave how they did previously and as someone else has mentioned on here: -

* Focus
* Layout
* Expansion
* Selection
* Settings from a Context mode perspective:

What are these features, what do they do, I've been playing all day and am still not sure for certain.

The way the Inbox perspective interacts with my other perspectives now is just baffling and has really effected my workflow, to explain my issues would be really difficult via the medium of text in a forum and just as tricky to explain to the awesome support ninjas.

I do my weekly review on Sunday and this is the first time in about 2 months I've missed it and feel resistance to doing it, a real shame.

I'd say it took me around 6 months to feel totally comfortable with OmniFocus and have my Workflow exactly as I wanted it. And what's more I f***king love it.

Now I feel I'm back to square 1. :-(

One final note, I have a group of single actions that repeat every day, basic daily tasks such as "30 minute walk", "Process email to zero" etc, I had the repeating actions all to become available the next day after completion. After upgrading these all defaulted to simply "repeat every day after completion". A small fix to change all the actions to "start again 1 day after completion". But a heads up warning would've of been nice.

I really want to revert back to the old version but as I've made edits in 1.7 now, 1.6 simply crashes on every launch. I could revert back to a time machine back up from August 23rd (I back up every 7 days), but then would lose my current changes/database over the past week.

Finally what really irks me, is this is so Un-Omni like, I've trusted my whole life to this app and have reaped the rewards, this is a real kick in the teeth, especially as I have an exam within the next 10 days, so this a really bad time for me.

</end rant>

I think a big part of the problem was that Apple decided to ship Snow Leopard earlier than expected. Omni had some Snow Leopard compatibility changes that needed to go out, and the thinking was probably that there was plenty of time to put out a good 1.7 release with them, a bigger list of new features, polished documentation, etc. When Apple suddenly announced that Snow Leopard was going to ship at the end of last week, that plan, uh, changed :-) Personally, I think it might have been better to do a 1.6.2 release with only the SL changes and let the 1.7 sneaky peek process continue, but it's easy being an armchair quarterback...how would you do on your exam if you found out today that it's actually tomorrow, not in 10 days?

You need to find a copy of 1.6.1, not 1.6, which has a known incompatibility if you've got any custom icons with your perspectives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by withnail View Post
* Focus
* Layout
* Expansion
* Selection
* Settings from a Context mode perspective:

What are these features, what do they do, I've been playing all day and am still not sure for certain.
There is quick explanation in this thread.

The Restore checkboxes allow you to preserve aspects of a perspective when you switch perspectives within the same window. In the following examples, Perspective X represents a custom perspective, and Current View represents any view or perspective other than Perspective X.

Focus - Preserves the project(s) focus assigned in Perspective X settings. When you create Perspective X, you can focus on a project or projects, rather than see all projects. If you check this box, switching from Current View to Perspective X will display only the focused on projects (or no focus) as assigned in Perspective X.

For example, Current View has a focus on Project A, ie only displays actions in Project A and sub-folders of Project A. Perspective X has no focus and the “Restore: Focus” checkbox in Perspectives > Show Perspectives is checked. Switching from Current View to Perspective X will drop focus on Project A and display all* projects. If “Restore: Focus” is not checked for Perspective X, then only Project A will continue to be displayed after switching from Current View to Perspective X.

*According to the the “Project Sidebar Filter” view bar settings for Perspective X. So if Perspective X only displays Active projects, switching from Current View to Perspective X would drop focus on Project A and display all Active projects.

Layout - Preserves the appearance of toolbar and sidebar, and the presence or absence of columns in Perspective X. If you check this box, switching from Current View to Perspective X will display only the OF window layout items assigned in Perspective X. If this checkbox is not selected, switching from Current View to Perspective X will continue to display layout items assigned in Current View.

For example, Current View uses the default toolbar, shows the sidebar, and displays the Name, Context, Due, and Duration columns. Perspective X uses a customized toolbar, hides the sidebar, and displays the Name, Project, and Flagged columns. If the “Restore: Layout” checkbox in Perspectives > Show Perspectives is checked for Perspective X, switching from Current View to Perspective X displays the customized toolbar, hides the sidebar, and displays the Name, Project, and Flagged columns.

Expansion - Preserves which items are expanded or collapsed in Perspective X. Projects and groups can be expanded or collapsed, as can action notes. If you check this box, switching from Current View to Perspective X will display items collapsed or expanded as assigned in Perspective X. If this checkbox is not selected, switching from Current View to Perspective X will continue to display collapsed or expanded items as assigned in Current View.

For example, Current View expands only items in Project B and Project C with all other items collapsed. Perspective X expands selected items in Project D. If the “Restore: Expansion” checkbox in Perspectives > Show Perspectives is checked for Perspective X, switching from Current View to Perspective X will expand only selected items in Project D and collapse all other items.

Selection - Preserves which folder or folders are selected in the sidebar in Perspective X. When you click on a project in the sidebar, it is highlighted to indicate it is selected, and the task pane only displays the items in the highlighted project(s). Selected project(s) can be saved as part of a perspective. If you check this box, switching from Current View to Perspective X will highlight selected project(s) as assigned in Perspective X, and the corresponding items in the highlighted project(s) will appear in the task pane. If this checkbox is not selected, switching from Current View to Perspective X will continue to display the current highlighted project(s) and their corresponding items in the task pane.

For example, Current View has Project A selected in the sidebar (with Project A items displayed in the task pane). Perspective X opens with Project C selected in the sidebar (with Project C items displayed in the task pane). If the “Restore: Selection” checkbox in Perspectives > Show Perspectives is checked for Perspective X, switching from Current View to Perspective X will select Project C in the sidebar (with Project C items displayed in the task pane). If this checkbox is not checked, switching from Current View to Perspective X will continue to select Project A in the sidebar since it is the current project selected.

Last edited by kaijin; 2009-08-30 at 02:29 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaijin View Post
There is quick explanation in this thread.

The Restore checkboxes allow you to preserve aspects of a perspective when you switch perspectives within the same window. In the following examples, Perspective X represents a custom perspective, and Current View represents any view or perspective other than Perspective X.

Focus - Preserves the project(s) focus assigned in Perspective X settings. When you create Perspective X, you can focus on a project or projects, rather than see all projects. If you check this box, switching from Current View to Perspective X will display only the focused on projects (or no focus) as assigned in Perspective X).

For example, Current View has a focus on Project A, ie only displays actions in Project A and sub-folders of Project A. Perspective X has no focus and the “Restore: Focus” checkbox in Perspectives > Show Perspectives is checked. Switching from Current View to Perspective X will drop focus on Project A and display all* projects. If “Restore: Focus” is not checked for Perspective X, then only Project A will continue to be displayed after switching from Current View to Perspective X.

*According to the the “Project Sidebar Filter” view bar settings for Perspective X. So if Perspective X only displays Active projects, switching from Current View to Perspective X would drop focus on Project A and display all Active projects.

Layout - Preserves the appearance of toolbar and sidebar, and the presence or absence of columns in Perspective X. If you check this box, switching from Current View to Perspective X will display only the OF window layout items assigned in Perspective X. If this checkbox is not selected, switching from Current View to Perspective X will continue to display layout items assigned in Current View.

For example, Current View uses the default toolbar, shows the sidebar, and displays the Name, Context, Due, and Duration columns. Perspective X uses a customized toolbar, hides the sidebar, and displays the Name, Project, and Flagged columns. If the “Restore: Layout” checkbox in Perspectives > Show Perspectives is checked for Perspective X, switching from Current View to Perspective X displays the customized toolbar, hides the sidebar, and displays the Name, Project, and Flagged columns.

Expansion - Preserves which items are expanded or collapsed in Perspective X. Projects and groups can be expanded or collapsed, as can action notes. If you check this box, switching from Current View to Perspective X will display items collapsed or expanded as assigned in Perspective X. If this checkbox is not selected, switching from Current View to Perspective X will continue to display collapsed or expanded items as assigned in Current View.

For example, Current View expands only items in Project B and Project C with all other items collapsed. Perspective X expands selected items in Project D. If the “Restore: Expansion” checkbox in Perspectives > Show Perspectives is checked for Perspective X, switching from Current View to Perspective X will expand only selected items in Project D and collapse all other items.

Selection - Preserves which folder or folders are selected in the sidebar in Perspective X. When you click on a project in the sidebar, it is highlighted to indicate it is selected, and the task pane only displays the items in the highlighted project(s). Selected project(s) can be saved as part of a perspective. If you check this box, switching from Current View to Perspective X will highlight selected project(s) as assigned in Perspective X, and the corresponding items in the highlighted project(s) will appear in the task pane. If this checkbox is not selected, switching from Current View to Perspective X will continue to display the current highlighted project(s) and their corresponding items in the task pane.

For example, Current View has Project A selected in the sidebar (with Project A items displayed in the task pane). Perspective X opens with Project C selected in the sidebar (with Project C items displayed in the task pane). If the “Restore: Selection” checkbox in Perspectives > Show Perspectives is checked for Perspective X, switching from Current View to Perspective X will select Project C in the sidebar (with Project C items displayed in the task pane). If this checkbox is not checked, switching from Current View to Perspective X will continue to select Project A in the sidebar since it is the current project selected.
Hey kaijin,

Thank you so much for this post, after a couple of reads and a fiddle I get it and have got my perspectives just the way I like'em.

Much much love and a big gold star!

Cheers

Curt, you are truly the honorable sleuth! I respect your apparent discipline, persistence and diligence. It benefits us all. Your explanation of the restore feature is the only coherent one I've noticed.

However, I still ache from the homework that OF appears to require. I believe I understand the View Bar, and have created numerous perspectives (though was bummed by the way that all my perspectives icons vanished the second time I launched the OF update).

But I have yet to really leverage the view bar and perspectives into a replicable routine for truly GTD. I currently have 793 actions recorded, 89 contexts, 236 projects and 18 perspectives.

What happened? They multiply like topsy.

Part of my difficulty lies in 2 issues. First, many of my actions are paper dependent. I'm separately working on a way to organize my files and documents, and align OF tasks in some way with their corresponding reference/work papers.

Second, to borrow a concept from evolutionary economics, the choices one makes in implementing GTD, both digitally with OF and physically with paper files, is highly 'path dependent'. Roughly put, the path one takes and the choices that subsequently emerge both evolve as a consequence of prior choices made and are constrained by them.

More bluntly, I do believe that OF is so powerful that it will take you exactly where you tell it to. That's its power and that's the problem.

Pertinent metaphors here are "blind alley" and "painting oneself into a corner".

Oh, of course, I know I've strayed from orthodoxy and the code enforcers will be on my back! There ain't no potatoes; the frost done killed the vine.... {cheers:}

Last edited by Flexattend; 2009-08-31 at 09:26 PM..

Flexattend, this thread contains another explanation to supplement Curt's great summation of the restore features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Yank View Post
Yes please!
Yes please too!

One thing I did before the latest update was to add a symbol in the name of perspectives that opened in a new window. So, those two perspectives were called:

Search >
Sort >

Those were small windows that I'd use, then close right away, so it was nice that it was clear that I wasn't dismissing my "main" window.

I wonder if you could have a little arrow badge added to icons when perspectives open in a new window, along the lines of the alias arrow added to icons in the Finder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadling View Post
I think the little "X" on the right end of the view bar is a better approach. It works just like the same control that appears in search fields.

-Dennis
I had been assuming that that X just hides the bar. I wonder if that little X would make more sense as a "looping back" arrow — like the circular icon in iTunes that takes you back to the currently playing song.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulduv View Post
I had been assuming that that X just hides the bar. I wonder if that little X would make more sense as a "looping back" arrow — like the circular icon in iTunes that takes you back to the currently playing song.
That's interesting, paulduv. Safari uses a similar "loop back" icon (colored orange) in the Google search field for the SnapBack feature that returns you to your original Google search results.

The X icon, on the other hand, is usually used to indicate the clearing or removing of data. The most obvious examples are search fields, where clicking the X icon clears the current search terms.

For me, the purpose of the X icon in the view bar was immediately clear because it looked just like the "clearing" X icon in search fields -- it felt very natural.

So I think arguments could be made either way. Does the view bar button "clear" the current filter settings or does it "return" you to your original filter settings?

-Dennis

One opportunity to expand perspectives woudl be to allow users to add more logic to their perspectives. For example perhaps I want to see all items due within 3 days, and all flagged items, but also all items of less than 10 min duration.

Or I want to be in project view but I want to exclude certain context (I *really* want to be able to do this!)

Or I'd like to create some sort of boolean search value (which I dont think you can do in the toolbar)

I can understand how you dont want to clutter up the toolbar with too many sopsticated tools, but an "advanced" tab for the setup of a perspective where a user could create more sophisticated selection criteria would be great.