The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

 
Can't quit out of latest Sneakypeek build (v77.10.0.104802) Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
The latest version of the Sneakypeek that came across my desk this morning won't let me quit now. This is different than the behavior of Friday's build where it wouldn't let you quit because of synching. This just doesn't respond at all to the quit command.

Anyone else seeing it?
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrobb View Post
The latest version of the Sneakypeek that came across my desk this morning won't let me quit now. This is different than the behavior of Friday's build where it wouldn't let you quit because of synching. This just doesn't respond at all to the quit command.

Anyone else seeing it?
I am on the same build. The first two times I quit with it, I got a progress bar that showed that it would quit after syncing and a 'don't quit' button. The progress bar never 'filled in' (never got aqua) but it did eventually quit and opened fine the next time. I sent feedback, because I was un-nerved that I didn't think it was doing anything when it looked like it should have been telling me that it was doing something (by the progress bar filling in).

The next time I quit, it filled in. It filled in quickly, then stayed blue while it finished syncing. And the next time, it started blue when it opened.

I am fairly new and don't have a big database. It didn't take an unacceptable time to do it's sync and quit, my issue was that I couldn't tell what was going on.

I sent feedback initially and also when the blue showed up the first time.

Not that it's exactly what's happening to you, but it could be a related issue.

ETA: But this morning, I just tried quitting, and I let it go two minutes...no blue progress showing and after two minutes, I hit don't quit. It was quicker than that yesterday, so I'd say I've got exactly what you've got.

Last edited by malisa; 2008-09-15 at 07:24 AM..
 
I don't think I'm seeing exactly the same behavior you're seeing. I had the "synch before quit" problem yesterday, as you describe. Today, when I tell the app to quit (via keyboard shortcut, via the dock, or via the Omnifocus app menu) *nothing* happens. The menu bar flashes, like it got the command, but it doesn't do anything. Doesn't bring up that dialogue box like on Friday. Just sits there.
 
I'm not seeing the failure to quit with that version. Does OmniFocus continue to work normally after you try to quit? Capture an activity/call trace with Activity Monitor and submit it to Omni with Help->Send Feedback to help them track it down, if you can reproduce this again.
 
I'm getting 30+ seconds of beach ball when quitting the program without any syncing enabled. I sent a Spin Control capture to Omni over the weekend. I'm sure they'll clear up the problem. I hope they get to it soon.
__________________
Cheers,

Curt
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrobb View Post
I don't think I'm seeing exactly the same behavior you're seeing. I had the "synch before quit" problem yesterday, as you describe. Today, when I tell the app to quit (via keyboard shortcut, via the dock, or via the Omnifocus app menu) *nothing* happens. The menu bar flashes, like it got the command, but it doesn't do anything. Doesn't bring up that dialogue box like on Friday. Just sits there.
See my post here for a suggestion on what may be causing this for you.
 
I was having this isse as well--hit command+q and the File menu would flash and do nothing else. I'm fairly new to OmniFocus, and while I will soon be using sync (my employer will soon issue me an iPhone...) I had not yet configured sync. Once I set OmniFocus to sync to a folder on my local drive, quit began working properly again. As to why I was using sneaky peek without an iPhone--I downloaded the sneaky peek version and have been using it with the knowledge that I would soon need it.
 
OK, I figured my problem out. A couple of weird issues.

I opened up synch preferences and noticed that my iDisk synching (no Me synching) lost its preferences and showed that I had never synched. I re-registered my computer. That created a second client instance of my Macbook, but whatever.

Once that was done, when I tried to quit, I got the window that says "OmniFocus will quit when finished synching". I initially clicked "Don't Quit" thinking that meant I'd be telling the app "OK, finish your synch and don't quit without synching". What it really means is "stop synching and don't quit". When I tried quiting again, I let the dialogue box sit for about 10 seconds and the app quit. I think the confusion part there is that there's a progress indicator bar that doesn't show any progress so you're kind of left thinking that the app is waiting for you to do something (hence, me clicking on "Don't Quit")
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrobb View Post
OK, I figured my problem out. A couple of weird issues.

I opened up synch preferences and noticed that my iDisk synching (no Me synching) lost its preferences and showed that I had never synched. I re-registered my computer. That created a second client instance of my Macbook, but whatever.

Once that was done, when I tried to quit, I got the window that says "OmniFocus will quit when finished synching". I initially clicked "Don't Quit" thinking that meant I'd be telling the app "OK, finish your synch and don't quit without synching". What it really means is "stop synching and don't quit". When I tried quiting again, I let the dialogue box sit for about 10 seconds and the app quit. I think the confusion part there is that there's a progress indicator bar that doesn't show any progress so you're kind of left thinking that the app is waiting for you to do something (hence, me clicking on "Don't Quit")
I bet there isn't anyone at Omni who isn't running syncing, and thus no one immediately noticed that quitting with syncing disabled doesn't work. Testing the quit function without syncing turned on seems like a fairly obvious thing to do when tinkering with the quit function and sync-on-quit, too, but we all make misteaks :-)

You will want to get rid of that old client entry for your Macbook, or it will eventually cause your database to not be compacted (and you'll get warnings about how it hasn't been synced in several days).

That progress bar could use some improvement, too. It tends to sit there without any progress for most of the sync cycle (and the toolbar sync button isn't animated either), then flashes across and disappears.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
I bet there isn't anyone at Omni who isn't running syncing, and thus no one immediately noticed that quitting with syncing disabled doesn't work. Testing the quit function without syncing turned on seems like a fairly obvious thing to do when tinkering with the quit function and sync-on-quit, too, but we all make misteaks :-)
Yeah, if this is the worst I get, they've done a good job. So, it looks like two bugs here. The first is that my synching got disabled in the first place. The second is the failure to quit when synching is disabled.
 
 


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
100% CPU on latest build Cypher OmniOutliner 4 for Mac 2 2013-04-30 12:02 PM
Latest Beta Won't Quit dbender OmniFocus 1 for Mac 3 2008-09-16 07:19 AM
Sneakypeek Build questions CdtDelta OmniFocus 1 for Mac 4 2008-08-06 06:23 PM
Latest build: 214 MB? philonous OmniWeb General 15 2008-03-03 10:47 AM
Latest Build 831 perspectives use bug ? ext555 OmniFocus 1 for Mac 0 2007-09-06 05:57 AM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.