The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Future of OmniWeb? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hope this is true. Still using OW because it is lean and easily configured.

My only disappointment is performance of Workspaces.

2 problems:

Snapshot does not seem to work any longer. That is, I take a new snapshot of a current workspace, which is modified, and it does not reappear later.

Also, the sound of a snapshot being taken disappeared a long time ago. Running on 10.6.8.

Anyone have any suggestions?

thanks,

jake

Both of those features still seem to work for me in the latest sneaky peek build under 10.6.8...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
We plan to add 64-bit support to OmniWeb 5.x. (That might not have been our plan when OmniWeb 6 was coming sooner, but that's our plan now.)
We're still putting the finishing touches on the 32-bit to 64-bit transition for our software package, so I know it may be quite the undertaking for your dev(s). Testing, in particular, for this type of transition can be quite a bear.

But, since it's been a year since your post, I just wanted to encourage to keep striving for a 64-bit OmniWeb! It'll enable some great possibilities.

For the layman, can someone help me understand what value a 64-bit version provides over a 32-bit version?

And can Omniweb give an update on the status of this effort? At this point, it has the decided feel of vaporware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmathes View Post
For the layman, can someone help me understand what value a 64-bit version provides over a 32-bit version?
Switching to a 64-bit version would mean that the browser can utilize more memory. If your browser is crashing regularly because it's running out of memory, this is a big deal. (I rarely encounter such crashes myself, but I tend not to let any particular OmniWeb workspace get too large.)

It's also a big deal if you're wanting to be compatible with 64-bit plug-ins.

Quote:
And can Omniweb give an update on the status of this effort? At this point, it has the decided feel of vaporware.
Sorry this wasn't more clear! OmniWeb is on the back burner until we've finished all of our iPad or Bust! projects. We're putting the finishing touches on the last of those projects (OmniPlan for iPad) right now, and expect to ship it in the next few months.

Now, that doesn't mean we'll be turning our attention back to OmniWeb right away: we have several other big projects which were also put on the back burner which we also need to finish.

But I do have some good news for OmniWeb fans…

Though OmniWeb has been on the back burner, in our spare time we've tried to squeeze in a little work here and there. We recently finished updating OmniWeb to work with Mountain Lion, where it's now building 64-bit and using the latest WebKit. We've got our tabs, workspaces, and cookie management working—but it's missing all of our WebKit customizations, which means it's missing ad blocking, plug-in management (such as click-to-load Flash content), and most site-specific preferences. (In other words, there's still a lot to do before it really feels like OmniWeb again!)

This new build of OmniWeb requires some new technologies which are being introduced in Mountain Lion, so I'm afraid it won't run on any currently shipping operating systems (such as Lion). OmniWeb 5.11 will continue to run on older operating systems, of course.

Thanks Ken, much appreciated. Looking forward to seeing Mtn Lion and a new version of OW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmathes View Post
In addition to Ken's spot-on reply, I've been told by other OmniGroup'ers that the conversion to 64-bit will allow OmniWeb to take advantage of OS X features such as text completion/substitution.

hello am new to OmniWeb i do like it has helped os 10.4 more tan any other bowser but i can not find a way to send email from cregslist can some one help thanks

Kudos on shipping OmniPlan for iPad, Ken et al. Any hope for a Halloween themed OW sneaky peek like the days of yore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post

Now, that doesn't mean we'll be turning our attention back to OmniWeb right away: we have several other big projects which were also put on the back burner which we also need to finish.
I can't help thinking that with the focus on new products the Omni Group may have lost sight of the fact that OmniWeb was - and often is today, the portal to all of your other products. Yes, it had to go out free, finally, but it is carrying enormous marketing freight and still shouts Omni credibility to the world. It is also a window into the world of the internet and probably could be revived as a marketing tool to do the job of megaphoning the OmniGroup stable of other products - and the fact that it is free ensures that users will come on board to experience the Omni heft.

You really do need to reframe OmniWeb as a marketing tool not just a lost and unloved product that is little more than a free service to a few die-hard disciples.

You are missing out on an outstanding opportunity to garner customers who might otherwise not use your other products.

This is a seriously loved product and you are wasting it. It still easily has the measure of browsers that have years more development. Make it your number one project. You are shooting yourselves in the foot. Can't you see that?