The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

iPhone 5S / 64-bit version of OF2 for iPhone? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hello,
Will OmniFocus 2 gain any (significant) performance benefit under 64 bit? How easy is to to recompile for 64 bit? Would it require quite a lot of effort (possibly OmniFocus 3 in the next half decade?)

From what I understand a universal binary also helps other apps as running 32bit and 64bit requires two sets of libraries so uses more memory.

Sadly I'm not yet at the point where it matters (still 4S).

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairydreams View Post
From what I understand a universal binary also helps other apps as running 32bit and 64bit requires two sets of libraries so uses more memory.

Sadly I'm not yet at the point where it matters (still 4S).
A universal binary doesn't take much more space. The majority of an application "bundle" is the resources (graphics, images, etc.) rather than the executable code, and the latter is the only thing that has separate versions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatOne View Post
A universal binary doesn't take much more space. The majority of an application "bundle" is the resources (graphics, images, etc.) rather than the executable code, and the latter is the only thing that has separate versions.
I was meaning the runtimes loaded into memory to support currently running apps.

If you run a 32bit app in the background whilst running a 64bit in the foreground, you need both sets of libraries active in memory to support both architectures.