The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniPlan 1.7 and iPad Sync question Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
What is the best way to exchange files (both ways) between OmniPlan on the iPad and OmniPlan 1.7? And if using OmniSync server or WebDav what file type should be used?

I have checked a number of ways and aside from buying OmniPlan 2.0 or using the 14 day trial I have been unsuccessful and extremely frustrated.

You need OmniPlan 2.0. Different file format to support sync.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
You need OmniPlan 2.0. Different file format to support sync.
So, if I don't have OmniPlan 2.0 I am unable to sync with the iPad.

This is not mentioned in the iPad description on iTunes. This is either pretty careless or deceitful on the part of the Omni Group. One has to assume that many people out there still have OmniPlan 1.7 and they will not be able to sync unless they upgrade.

I assume that Omni monitors these forums. So, Omni Group, am I correct in my assessment, or is there some other explanation as to why the Omiplan 1.7 inability to sync is omitted? Perhaps, the replying member is wrong, but it does not appear so.

Perhaps I misread the iTunes summary, but I don't think so.

As well the FAQs page on the website does not address it directly (or clearly), stating that OmniPlan 2 files can be emailed, but in the following paragraph it refers to only OmniPlan files.

If this is the case:

-How do I get my money back for the iPad OmniPlan purchase?
-What is Omni Group going to do to revise the iTunes description so further people aren't misled?

And finally, let's hope that I am wrong in all of this and that, as it should be, OmniPlan 1.7 files are transferrable through the OmniSync or another WebDav server. And if so, how do I do it?

I'm not wrong. You can verify the truth of what I say by making a small test plan in both OmniPlan 1.7 and OmniPlan for iPad, using iTunes (App section) or email to send the plan to the Mac, then Show Package Contents in the Finder to compare. Or, you can use iTunes to add the plan file made on the Mac directly to OmniPlan on the iPad, but it won't show up in the document chooser when you launch the iPad app.

I agree that there doesn't seem to be any language clearly spelling out that OmniPlan 1.7 does not support sync. OmniPlan for iPad will sync with other copies of OmniPlan for iPad without any Mac required; perhaps they were trying to avoid confusion in that regard while creating it elsewhere. I very much doubt they are trying to mislead people into buying software they cannot use, as their refund policy costs them cold, hard cash (Apple keeps its 30% cut of the purchase price, but Omni refunds you the full amount).

Details on refunds here: http://www.omnigroup.com/support/store/refunds/

Another approach would be to upgrade your copy of OmniPlan 1.7. If you bought OmniPlan 1.x directly from Omni, you pay half the cost of OmniPlan 2. Unfortunately, there's no upgrade pricing if you bought through the Mac App Store.