The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tasks via Email & Mail Server Rules Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi guys,

I started using the inputting of tasks to OF via email with the Omnifocus Mac rule.

The thing is I have a server rule with my email account that says that each email I send myself will be moved to a particular folder. Now it seems OF isn't able to pick up the tasks when they are rerouted from the Inbox at the server level.

Is there a way to tell OF to watch a different or additional folder?

Thanks a bunch!

1. Would the OmniFocus Mail Drop service be an option for you? http://www.omnigroup.com/support/omnifocus-mail-drop
  2. Can you adjust your server rule to ignore the emails containing the prefix the OmniFocus rule looks for in the subject line? The OmniFocus rule can move these emails to a desired folder once they are processed and added to OmniFocus.

Yes Mail Drop would be an option but until it has all of the features the current mail rule has (e.g. assign project to task) I was hoping I could make this work.

I could change the server rules but an important thing for me is to keep my inbox free of my own notes so I can focus on the email I received and since I'm often on my mobile devices I would often have a lot of email from myself in my inbox, and sometimes I open one accidentally and I've noticed the Rule doesn't work when the email +omnifocus I sent myself has been read.

So ideally I would hope there would be a way for the rule to watch a certain folder. ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by analoggab View Post
...and sometimes I open one accidentally and I've noticed the Rule doesn't work when the email +omnifocus I sent myself has been read.
This is normal behavior for Mail.app rules. The OmniFocus rule is just a custom Mail.app rule that uses an AppleScript to "grab" task information from an email. I am unaware of any Mail.app rule that can target a specific email account folder. This is a limitation of Mail.app and not OmniFocus. The only way I can think of using the rule provided by OmniFocus in a custom folder is to manually implement it once back to your computer, or write a custom script to process these emails. All of this seems more difficult than just having Mail Drop put the item in your OmniFocus inbox and assigning the remaining information to your items as necessary.

All right. Thanks Dale!

Hope Mail Drop will get more features soon.