The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Newbie Question: I Synced to Wrong Database. How to Wipe Clean? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm just starting to use Omnifocus for Mac and accidentally synced to a database my wife had stored on my iDisk. I need to start over and clean out all her stuff from my version. Is there a way to do this quickly? I thought of setting up a new folder for myself on iDisk, but think that might just export her database into that folder anyway.

I searched the forums but couldn't find a similar situation. Any advice? Thanks!

Step 1: turn off syncing. Go to the Preferences, select the Sync tab, click on the Sync with: Nothing blob. Now OmniFocus will not try to propagate any changes you make into your wife's database. That's good, because we're going to wipe all of her stuff from your database!

Step 2: open the All Items perspective under the Perspectives menu.

Step 3: do Edit->Select All to select everything

Step 4: do Edit->Delete to delete everything

You've now got a pretty clean slate, although if your wife had created any contexts or perspectives, you've still got them.

If you want to go back to the "out of the box" database, quit OmniFocus, then in the Finder navigate to the OmniFocus directory in the Application Support directory in the Library folder in your home directory. Delete the OmniFocus.ofocus file you find there, and relaunch OmniFocus.

If you want to set up syncing, you can either set up a new folder on the iDisk and adjust the path name in the sync preferences, or more easily, just get yourself your own account on the Omni Sync Server (it's free) at http://sync.omnigroup.com and use that.

Thanks! After mucking around a bit more I actually found a workaround that seems to have worked. I found the Omnifocus Backups folder, which had a backups file from earlier in the day before I synced. I selected Revert to Backup Database from the file menu, selected the earlier file and the few things I'd entered before syncing showed up. Then I created a new idisk folder and synced to it right away. This all SEEMS to have worked so far.

Thanks again! I'll definitely consult your method if I see any old data crop up.

Yes, that should work fine. I didn't get the impression from the original post that you actually had any data to revert to!