The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Only Options? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi Everyone

I know the answer to this is probably "no" but I didn't know if an OF guru would be able to provide a possible solution.

My husband and I work together. I use OF for our personal items and also for everything with our business. It's simply fantastic.

The issue? Well, the husband is not technically-astute. At all. I would love for him to be able to view what is going on in OF (so he has a good view of what we have due coming up, so he can also view by project etc. both within OF and on his iphone) but NOT be able to make any changes. A view only.

So far, I've linked up OF tasks to ical calendars and locked those calendars, so he can view all of the tasks through ical, but we all know ical is pretty confusing for tasks compared to the eloquence of OF. And of course this option leaves the iphone out.

Our workload and projects are vast and change hourly, so printing up reports really isn't the greatest solution either. I know OF is really for individual GTD management, but I always push the envelope, and it's such a great program, I thought there might be some solution :)

Any thoughts?

Are you on separate, networked computers?

If so, one option might be to set up something like ChronoSync to copy your database to his computer on a regular basis. Since the copy would be only in one direction, any changes he might make would be overwritten and wouldn't show up in your version. (This assumes that you set up ChronoSync to copy unidirectionally.) You might also need to set up a small AppleScript so Chronosync shuts down your husband's OF before copying the data.

My wife and I have a similar set up for copying our iPhoto database from her iMac, where we do any editing, to my MacBook Pro. It works nicely.

Curt

Hi Curt. This is an excellent suggestion - thank you. I am going to look into it!