The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Any plans for a web based application to support iPhone? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hello,

I've been using OmniFocus for a couple of weeks now, and while I think it's as good as a standalone application as I've yet to see - it's major downfall is it's inability to seamlisly sync to anything other than your Mac, and only if you have omnifocus already installed. I use several computers on a day to day basis (work computer, laptop, and my own personal mac, friends computers), and would like some sort of web based application to support this - it's even a service i would pay for. Are there any plans for this?

I'm not sure if you'll get an official response, but I'm in the same boat. Unfortunately I use Windows at work and it's sometimes annoying to type everything on my iphone.. Oh well, OF is the best thing to happen to my productivity, so I'm OK with it.. for now anyway.

Nope. No plans for a web app that doesn't run on the same computer as OmniFocus for Mac. (There's another thread on this forum discussing that webapp.)

How about an API for the .ofocus files then? This would have usefulness far beyond just a web application. You could update and manipulate your GTD 'life' in many ways if we could read/write directly to the data store.

Technically, we do have an API. OmniFocus for the Mac has an AppleScript library. I realize that isn't a good option for someone who doesn't own a Mac, but it is an API. That's how all the widgets shared on the other OmniFocus forums work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard View Post
Technically, we do have an API. OmniFocus for the Mac has an AppleScript library. I realize that isn't a good option for someone who doesn't own a Mac, but it is an API. That's how all the widgets shared on the other OmniFocus forums work.
Hmmm. An AppleScript library is actually what I was thinking of. Is this available outside of OmniFocus for Mac? If I'm using, for example, Outlook or Entourage to implement GTD, we could use AppleScript (or another API) to sync?

Being able to read & write .ofocus files (independently of the Mac version) could lead to a bunch of other cool things to do on the iPhone & WebDav.