The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Moving my OmniFocus file to a new computer Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Just got a new laptop, and I want to move my OmniFocus data to the new machine. As I understand it, my database lives at ~/Library/Application Support/OmniFocus/OmniFocus.ofocus.

So do I simply install OmniFocus on the new machine, then copy the OmniFocus.ofocus file to the ~/Library/Application Support/OmniFocus folder? Are there any other steps I need to take?

That's all you need to do.

If you want to keep your settings, then also copy ~/Library/Preferences/com.omnigroup.OmniFocus.plist to same location on the new computer.

Can the data not be stored on a .Mac iDisk at this point?

It can, if you do some voodoo, but we can't recommend it unless you are using an unsynchronized iDisk. We might be able to fully recommend it in the near future, but we still need to test how iDisk synching and OmniFocus running on multiple computers interacts. We _really_ don't want to expose folks to data loss if iDisk is going to do something funky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wood View Post
It can, if you do some voodoo, but we can't recommend it unless you are using an unsynchronized iDisk. We might be able to fully recommend it in the near future, but we still need to test how iDisk synching and OmniFocus running on multiple computers interacts. We _really_ don't want to expose folks to data loss if iDisk is going to do something funky.
That is definitely something that will happen when people travel. Typically, I do more work on the return flight than going. I then walk in to my office or home office right after getting off the plane and go to work on my iMac without sync'ing my MBP. Bad practice for sure.

I can see that scenario creating a problem. If you open up the testing to iDisk syncing, I am up for data loss as I understand alpha and beta means risk in real people world. And iDisk is going to do something funky, I can guarantee that just as you probably well know.

I am glad you are considering this but you must realize that without iDisk support, professionals will be left out of the mix as we use at least one desktop and portable all the time. I use two desktops and one portable daily.

Last edited by dude; 2007-11-15 at 04:43 PM..