The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Extras
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

AppleScript automating creation of Finder & Mail folders Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
For my larger projects, I often end up creating support folders in Finder and/or Mail (often only when the need arises in each). I'm considering writing an AppleScript to do this, and wanted to see if anyone had already done so.

My directory structures are like this:

active
completed
dropped
on hold
someday
maybe

For starters, I think just creating a folder with the same name as my OF project name in my 'active' folder (of Finder and Mail) would be useful.

For bonus points, it would also rename the folders if I changed the OF project name. Note: Mail, at least as it interacts with my mail server (& IMAP?) is very finicky about changing names (often a lock prevents it). And also cool would be that when I move a project from say, active to complete, in OF, the same would occur in Finder. I can't (or only on a blue moon) move (IMAP) folders in Mail, so I create a new folder in, say, completed with the same name, move all the mail items to it, and delete the empty folder in active.

Bob

The material in this thread Scripts to open project folders and notes files might give you a starting point for the Finder side. Different organization, but the mechanics should be similar. I don't recall seeing anything about scripting Mail, but I haven't really been looking for that.

Where are you planning to create the folders for Mail? This post suggests there may be some limitations: http://osdir.com/ml/applescript-user.../msg00140.html.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
The material in this thread

Where are you planning to create the folders for Mail? This post suggests there may be some limitations: http://osdir.com/ml/applescript-user.../msg00140.html.
Thanks for the script link.

I plan to create folders on a mail server, IMAP, nested inside an "active" root folder for active projects. I could only see half the text on that web page due to an ad.

Bob

Yeah, that site is very annoying, but if you reload the page, the next ad might be smaller. Or view the page source :)

I'm already using Scripts to open project folders and notes files and I'm greatly missing the same feature for the mail integration.
Please keep us posted re your progress. Cheers, Chris