The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Extras
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Defer (or 'snooze') tasks/projects Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Here's an all-purpose task/project defer script that lets you push back projects and tasks by a given number of days (default 1, but you can enter an arbitrary number at runtime). It also lets you defer just the due date or both the start and due dates.

My original purpose was to get around the lack of a weekday option for recurring tasks, but I find myself using it all the time.

More info and download here:

http://bylr.net/3/2008/02/omnifocus-defer-script/

Last edited by dbyler; 2011-07-07 at 06:36 PM.. Reason: clarifying language

awesome. awesome. awesome.

i know we're not *supposed* to do this in the GTD world, but i find myself needing to do triage during frantic days, and you've just saved me much typing and thus precious time.

I just finished listening to the David Allen book and I don't see why this isn't okay.

there are things that don't take two days, you can't delegate and can't be done on a certain date

for example. I wanted to do my grocery shopping yesterday, but I was delayed at the office, so I never got out to do the task. Still need groceries, they aren't on hold

they just need to be shopped for on another day

any how, great script

@librarymonkey27
i hear you and i guess as always it comes down to personal preference and what works for you, but i thought true GTD specified that dates are to be considered sacred and only used when a task has to be done on a specific day.

i definitely am not that strict, and use the start date/completed date features all the time to tickle tasks

If memory serves, Mr Allan holds the calendar as sacred, inviolable space – not dates in general.

My company uses timesheets, for instance, that are required to be filled out by 10:00 every morning. I don't want to clutter my calendar with an appointment, but this still needs to be done -- and OmniFocus is the perfect tool to gently remind me at 9:50 (via Growl) that my timesheet is due. I find it useful to just skip the weekend (defer 2 days).

Another thought: I'd rather use flags to indicate importance and dates to indicate urgency (in the Covey sense). That way I can filter on flagged tasks to get a sense of my 'big rocks' and use this script to swat the urgent/unimportant tasks out of the way if necessary.

Hello,
nice script !
But I always have to run it in the finder menu.
I dont get it into the toolbar of omnifocus. There is no Icon called Defer, I can add to the toolbar. Did I miss something ?

Best Regards
Marc

you should be able to get it into your toolbar, that is how I use it

I made my own icon of a guy sleeping on the couch.

Marc, did you put the script in ~/Scripts/Application Support/OmniFocus? It needs to be there for OmniFocus to see it.

Once the script is there, go to OmniFocus' View Menu > Customize Toolbar... You should see the script there.

Librarymonkey27, I'd love to see your icon if you don't mind sharing.