The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Feature Request: Date Added Column Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Along with start and due dates, it would be helpful for me to have a date added column. I use OmniFocus heavily to delegate tasks and to track things I'm waiting for. I want a quick scan of when I added a particular action. I know I can open the inspector or sort by date added, but I want the ability to see this information while I sorted by more pertinent information-- context.

I'm going to file a feature request. If you like this idea, do likewise.

Thanks,
Steve

I guess no one else thinks this would be helpful? Else, why has no one else commented in five weeks?

Is that how this works? Are new features adopted only if enough people discover a post, decide they concur and add their comment? Is it all just a matter of democratic majority vote? ie., that, no matter what the suggestion, if a sufficient number of people advocate it, the development team will do it? Regardless of whether it has "merit"?

Or, is it that even as few as one or two people could cause a suggestion to be adopted, despite objections from THE GTD ENFORCERS ("coming soon to a theatre near you!"), if they have a compelling argument?

Just how does this work?

Is there a Spaniard in the works?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexattend View Post
I guess no one else thinks this would be helpful? Else, why has no one else commented in five weeks?
Or maybe they thought it was a great idea and knew that for it to be heard by Omni they had to send email to omnifocus@omnigroup.com or use Help->Send Feedback, and so did just that instead of posting here. My guess is that the Date Added field is already an off the beaten path bit of functionality for most users, and the need for a column even more so. I use it occasionally, but find that use of the inspector and the grouping display is sufficient for my needs. What is the task you are trying to accomplish? Finding the first/oldest task added in all of your contexts?
Quote:
Is that how this works? Are new features adopted only if enough people discover a post, decide they concur and add their comment? Is it all just a matter of democratic majority vote? ie., that, no matter what the suggestion, if a sufficient number of people advocate it, the development team will do it? Regardless of whether it has "merit"?

Or, is it that even as few as one or two people could cause a suggestion to be adopted, despite objections from THE GTD ENFORCERS ("coming soon to a theatre near you!"), if they have a compelling argument?

Just how does this work?

Is there a Spaniard in the works?
No, but there might be a spanner in the works :-)

The Omni staff take the popularity of requests into account when deciding on what to do for each release, but it is only one input. If all else is equal, they would probably choose the feature more requested. And remember, they (mostly) don't count requests on the forums, only those sent in to their bug tracking system (via email/Help->Send Feedback). The OmniPlan PM seems to be willing to do the extra work to refile OmniPlan requests on the forum in their system, but they appear to be relatively few in number.

Would also love to be able to sort/filter/perspectives according to date added. I too use it for delegation and need to know what's been added in the past week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giray View Post
Would also love to be able to sort/filter/perspectives according to date added. I too use it for delegation and need to know what's been added in the past week.
Unless I'm not understanding what you are requesting, you can already group and sort by date added. Bring up the View Bar (cmd-shift-V or View->Show View Bar) and adjust the Grouping and/or Sorting selectors, Date Added is one of the choices.

My bad. Indeed. Thanks.
Now I'll go to another thread and beg for OF/OP integration ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Unless I'm not understanding what you are requesting, you can already group and sort by date added. Bring up the View Bar (cmd-shift-V or View->Show View Bar) and adjust the Grouping and/or Sorting selectors, Date Added is one of the choices.
WH, good buddy. What you say is true. But it does not show the date, n'est pas?

Oh, I know, you're going to suggest that I don't need to know that, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexattend View Post
WH, good buddy. What you say is true. But it does not show the date, n'est pas?
The poster I was answering didn't ask for that. Terribly churlish of us not to join our voices with yours in a heavenly chorus importuning Ken and Co. to drop everything and implement this tout de suite. Isn't it strange how some people find more utility in an imperfect solution available right now than an ideal one to be delivered at some unknown future date?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
The poster I was answering didn't ask for that. Terribly churlish of us not to join our voices with yours in a heavenly chorus importuning Ken and Co. to drop everything and implement this tout de suite. Isn't it strange how some people find more utility in an imperfect solution available right now than an ideal one to be delivered at some unknown future date?
Yes, I suppose you are very correct about it being an imperfect solution, since it merely sorts in date added order and does not list the actual date of addition, absent which, there is no utility for my purposes.