The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Syncing bookmarks with Safari Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Ok, now that I have an iPhone, my 3 year old set of bookmarks in Safari suddenly becomes important. I deleted them all and manually exported and structured my OW bookmarks in Safari, so that’s cool.

But what I want is to keep them in sync in real time. As I add stuff on my iPhone, iTunes will (presumably) sync it back to Safari, and now Safari and OW are out of sync again. Would love to have two way sync, like between my address book and my phone contacts, so that all three sets (iPhone, Safari and OW) stay in sync.

Is this possible?

In OmniWeb, if you choose to Import Bookmarks... from the Bookmarks menu, a new Safari menu will appear in the sidebar of the bookmarks window. Unfortunately, this doesn't allow you to drag and drop bookmarks from OmniWeb into this menu and have them be available in Safari, but it does allow you to use Safari's bookmarks without having to hand import them yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmathes
Ok, now that I have an iPhone, my 3 year old set of bookmarks in Safari suddenly becomes important. I deleted them all and manually exported and structured my OW bookmarks in Safari, so that’s cool.

But what I want is to keep them in sync in real time. As I add stuff on my iPhone, iTunes will (presumably) sync it back to Safari, and now Safari and OW are out of sync again. Would love to have two way sync, like between my address book and my phone contacts, so that all three sets (iPhone, Safari and OW) stay in sync.

Is this possible?
Hi. I know it's probably not the easiest way but I use an app called Bookit to sync bookmarks between Safari and Omniweb and all other browsers I have, too.

Bookit is my recommendation. It will do a clean, perfect import from one app to the other (can't vouch for OW's import, but Safari's importer *will* mangle HTML-based bookmark files with ampersands and other special HTML entities on import.)

guys, thank you VERY much for recommending Bookit. This is EXACTLY what I was looking for. Already bought a license, works great.

Can anyone with experience of Bookit tell me if it screwed up the feeds they were subscribed to in OmniWeb? I decided to give it a go, and it has converted all my feeds into folders, which is a little annoying! Have I missed a setting, or is this an incompatibility issue with OmniWeb?

TIA

Last edited by JKT; 2007-07-28 at 11:01 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmathes
guys, thank you VERY much for recommending Bookit. This is EXACTLY what I was looking for. Already bought a license, works great.
I'm a huge bookit fan, although I do wish there were a way to automatically sync from the 'master' to the rest of the files at a given interval. That way I could use OW or Camino, and have it basically export to Safari every day or what have you.

Last edited by danielandrews; 2007-07-31 at 10:49 AM..