The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hotmail doesn't work, and can't drag hyperlinks on some sites Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi, I was just wondering.. I know the most recent update to OmniWeb updated to the same version of webkit as Safari 4. I'm just wondering how come Hotmail won't work in OmniWeb, but it does Work in safari? It's not a huge deal, I rarely use Hotmail but it's a bit of a pain to have to open up Safari on the rare occasion that I do use it.

Also, the hyperlink drag thing.. I drag links and stuff all the time to the tab drawer and address bar. I've noticed on some sites like google search results it is impossible to grab them to drag them onto anything. Is this an OmniWeb bug or is it just some odd way they have coded their pages to prevent people from dragging them?

Probably Hotmail has some Safari-specific code and doesn't recognize OmniWeb as a Safari relative. What happens if you use the site preferences to tell OmniWeb to identify itself to Hotmail as Safari? Click the Site preferences button (just to the right of the google search field with the stock OmniWeb toolbar), then Preferences for Hotmail (or whatever the domain used is), Other tab, Identify to web servers and scripts as Safari 4.0.

I'm not sure I understand the complaint about dragging Google search results to the tab bar. I did a search on "hotmail omniweb" just now in OmniWeb and had no trouble dragging results to the tab bar. Are you grabbing the link at the top or the bottom of a search result? Looking at the page source, the bottom one doesn't appear to be a live link, just a text string.

Oh cool, setting the user agent to Safari for the hotmail page fixed that and now it works. On google I can't drag the main link (the top one) for a result, when I click it turns red (active), but when I try and drag it it just turns back blue again (inactive). It's kind of like what happens when you click on a button and then move the mouse away without releasing the button

The problem on the google search results pages (I think) is related javascript that gets added to each link but only when logged into google. (it may also require particular settings to be enabled). We have a bug open on this, I know you can log-out of google to work around this but if you use gmail or other google services that probably isn't the ideal solution.

Ah ok then troyb. Thanks :)

Oh and thanks whpalmer4, forgot to say thanks before :o