The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Date Parsing: Natural Language, Relative Date Options Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I live in Japan but do business mostly with people in the United States. Ideally I would like due times to relate to U.S. time (Pacific/Eastern/whatever). For instance, if I want to give someone through Wednesday their time to get back to me and contact them Thursday morning their time if they don't, I'd want to input a due date/time of, say, Thursday 9:00 a.m. EDT.

I wonder if this could be accommodated in OF? Maybe something that takes timezone abbreviations or even just UTC/GMT offsets (I can remember those if I need to).

So:

-- thu 9 a edt

-- thu 9 a utc-6

-- thu 9 a gmt+6

I suppose that the Mac is smart enough to know whether it's est/edt, so maybe those could be synonomous.

Another idea: reasonable interpretations of morning, afternoon, etc. Perhaps the precise times could be set in Preferences.

There really is an awesome amount of 'interesting things' for entering start or due dates - I like them.
But I'm missing the possibility to enter the due date of a task/project related to the start date and vice versa.

Examples:

I have a task/project with a start date 10/20/07 and an estimated time to complete it of 5 days. So I'd like to enter:
"10/20/07" in the start date column
"+5" in the due date column
resulting due date: 10/25/07.

Or, I have a task project with a due date 10/20/07 and I think I'll need 5 days to complete it. So I would enter:
"10/20/07" in the due date column
"-5" in the start date column
resulting start date: 10/15/07.

For me this feature would much improve planning dates of tasks/projects.

Hopefully someone can explain to me what I am doing wrong. Whenever I sent a due date for a specific project that is in the future, the entire project immediately disappears and to this point there is nothing I can do to find the project unless I undo that action. Has anyone else had this problem? Are we not supposed to be able to set project dates in the future?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maluktuk View Post
Hopefully someone can explain to me what I am doing wrong. Whenever I sent a due date for a specific project that is in the future, the entire project immediately disappears and to this point there is nothing I can do to find the project unless I undo that action. Has anyone else had this problem? Are we not supposed to be able to set project dates in the future?
I can't replicate the problem. Please post your view bar settings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhm2006 View Post
I can't replicate the problem. Please post your view bar settings.
I felt like I had played with all the view settings possible, but your question made me go back and see that there is a filter for the projects in the left sidebar as well that I hadn't realized before. I changed the view from "Active" to "All Projects" and there were my projects.

Sorry for posting such a silly question, but sincere thanks for your help.

Setting the Due date shouldn't cause the project to disappear from Active Projects. Setting a Start date in the future would move the project from the Active list to the Pending list. That's a very handy feature when you are over-committed and negotiate to delay some project. When the new start date is reached, the project appears in your Active Project view.

Curt

How can I sort by Due Date and only show actions that have a Due Date?

thanks....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlondon View Post
How can I sort by Due Date and only show actions that have a Due Date?
The short answer is that you can't. What I do is this: In context view, group by due date and sort by due date, and then ignore the group that says "None" at the bottom of the list.

To show only actions that have a due date, you would have to be able to *filter* by due date, and you can't. You can *group* by due date, and you can *sort* by due date, but you cannot *filter* by due date. Grouping puts similar items together. Sorting put items in a particular sequence. Filtering selects items out (or in, depending on how you look at it).

In context view, you can show actions in date order by grouping by due date and sorting however you want OR you can ungroup and sort by due date. If you group by something else, then sort by due date, OF groups first and then sorts, which is nice, but probably not what you want.

Last edited by dhm2006; 2007-10-23 at 10:47 AM..

thank you...

seems this would be a totally useful feature.

ie: Show my everything that is due now (or passed due) grouped by context....

Quote:
Originally Posted by uku View Post
There really is an awesome amount of 'interesting things' for entering start or due dates - I like them.
But I'm missing the possibility to enter the due date of a task/project related to the start date and vice versa.

Examples:

I have a task/project with a start date 10/20/07 and an estimated time to complete it of 5 days. So I'd like to enter:
"10/20/07" in the start date column
"+5" in the due date column
resulting due date: 10/25/07.

Or, I have a task project with a due date 10/20/07 and I think I'll need 5 days to complete it. So I would enter:
"10/20/07" in the due date column
"-5" in the start date column
resulting start date: 10/15/07.

For me this feature would much improve planning dates of tasks/projects.
I've thought about this, it might turn up someday as "start+5"/"S+5"/"T+5" or something.

Just thinking at this point, but I think it would be nice to have.