The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > Community > Omni Lounge
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

ODF as a native file format? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hello, I'm an Omniweb customer and an user of OmniOutliner.
I do think that your software is quality software, which strikes me sometimes as a rare quality.

I would however like to make my data and documents interact between OMNI software and other software, such as OpenOffice.org, or what have you, a web browser, etc.

What do you think of using OpenDocument Format (ODF) as your default file format or at least make it an export option?

Thanks!

C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chs
Hello, I'm an Omniweb customer and an user of OmniOutliner.
I do think that your software is quality software, which strikes me sometimes as a rare quality.

I would however like to make my data and documents interact between OMNI software and other software, such as OpenOffice.org, or what have you, a web browser, etc.

What do you think of using OpenDocument Format (ODF) as your default file format or at least make it an export option?

Thanks!

C.
I use OGPro and OOPro ... I have NeoOffice rather than OpenOffice.org, but surely OO.o would open RTF files, JPGs, PNGs, probably PDFs ... you can export in all of those already ...
Mark

Hi, OOo/Neo certainly can import and export in several formats, but outside the fact that ODF is an open standard, some formats just cannot be handled that easily and may not be adequate for everything:
RTF works for very simple text, but not more (I don't imagine Omniplan files being rendered in RTF)
PDF is great, but cannot be imported by OOo/Neo and a lot of applications don't have a pdf availability....

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chs
Hi, OOo/Neo certainly can import and export in several formats, but outside the fact that ODF is an open standard, some formats just cannot be handled that easily and may not be adequate for everything:
RTF works for very simple text, but not more (I don't imagine Omniplan files being rendered in RTF)
PDF is great, but cannot be imported by OOo/Neo and a lot of applications don't have a pdf availability....

Thanks!
Hi,

By "a lot of applications don't have a pdf availability" do you mean they can't import PDFs? I must admit I've never tried it with Neo, as I only use that when I have a .doc sent to me that causes real problems with Nisus.

In terms of outputting PDFs, any OS-X app can do it through the print dialog.

But my comment was more in terms of ways of getting round any problems you may have currently ... I would actually support any move to support ODF as an export format.

Mark

Exporting diagrams and documents from Omni products into ODF formats would be a great boon to increasing sharability. I regularly use OmniGraffle for diagramming and find myself having problems exchaning diagrams with non-Mac users. There are a few people that I work with who have forked out the $$$ required for Visio but the vast majority are limited to common office suites. One of the benefits of supporting ODF is that OpenOffice/StarOffice has pretty good document conversion capabilities. I could share a document/diagram with a co-worker using ODF and we could then share with other co-workers using M$FT products.

Anything to improve the ability to collaborate would be of great benefit.

-Sharif