The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniFocus on iPad Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
If Omni is really waiting until the end of the year for what I (and I'm sure many) consider to be their flagship product, then they'll have probably lost me by then. I love OmniFocus, but task management on a larger device is a LARGE part of why I'm getting an iPad. If Omni isn't there, someone else will be, and there's a decent chance I'll be migrating to their platform.

A doubled screen version of the iPhone app isn't very appealing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightstorm View Post
…better yet, do what Agile is doing with their 1Password Pro. Update 1PP to INCLUDE the iPad version (making it universal).
Well, I'm not sure that's really what's going to happen… at the moment, "1Password for iPad" is showing as a distinct iPad-only app (selling at $6.99), offered in parallel with "1Password Pro" as an iPhone/iPod Touch-based app (selling at $8.99). What's more, while a bunch of my other apps just triggered an update that bumped them into the "iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad Apps" category, 1Password Pro is still stuck in the "iPhone and iPod Touch Apps" category :-(

We'll just have to wait and see!

A version of OmniFocus customized for the iPad is absolutely coming. The current setup - iPhone app on iPad - is strictly temporary.

We did OmniGraffle and OmniGraphSketcher first because drawing with your finger seemed a really good fit for the strengths of the iPad, and because those products didn't have iPhone OS apps in any form.

I wish we were in a position to develop on all of our projects simultaneously, but until we find that developer-cloning technology we keep hoping for, we will have to make tradeoffs from time to time. :-)

I can't quote you a specifics on when or in what sequence the other three apps will appear, but I can tell you we're working to get them to you as fast as possible, and that we're constantly revising our plans from week to week and even day to day.

The "late 2010" estimate was our best guess at the moment that post was made; I have a feeling that the situation today looks somewhat different. I'm compiling a list of questions that folks are asking to pass along to Ken later today - I'll make sure "OmniFocus for iPad" gets a section on that list. Thanks, guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianru View Post
What about this; release the iPhone and iPad versions in one app, then make the full iPad version an in-app purchase?
I asked about this approach in a conversation with Ken; as far as we can tell, there's no way to unlock the higher-rez iPad interface from an in-app purchase. Universal apps just show the iPad interface on that device, and the iPhone interface on an iPhone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmpjmpr View Post
OmniFocus is a must-buy. I hope it finds it's way there soon!
We're absolutely going to do this. Check here for more info. Hope this helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrettj View Post
If Omni is really waiting until the end of the year for what I (and I'm sure many) consider to be their flagship product, then they'll have probably lost me by then. I love OmniFocus, but task management on a larger device is a LARGE part of why I'm getting an iPad. If Omni isn't there, someone else will be, and there's a decent chance I'll be migrating to their platform.

A doubled screen version of the iPhone app isn't very appealing.
So you still wouldn't use OmniFocus on your iPhone/iPod touch? It still works! That will still be my main tool because I would carry around my iPod touch more than I would carry around an iPad. Don't forget that your existing solutions still work. All that shine and glitz from the iPad is getting into our eyes and blinding us from existing solutions. It's like walking around with your wife and then you see a beautiful supermodel. Would you break up with your wife just because a supermodel walks by? Tempted? Yes. Realistic? Probably not.

I still haven't really found Things for the iPad and desktop to be the answer. I've always liked OmniFocus' workflow and feature set better than Things for both desktop and iPhone app editions.

AppiGo's To Do might be interesting if they ever get to the iPad. But AppiGo's To Do doesn't have a companion desktop application to go with it.

I'm really not interested in disrupting up my GTD workflow. It's just too much headache to transition from one GTD app to another.

Meanwhile my trusty iPod touch with OmniFocus is my faithful companion. Even though everybody is lusting with mouths wide open for the iPad, I know what keeps my life going...

It seems you are working product-out and not market-in, that is you are not working customer driven. You should set a significant resource on an iPad version. Many businesses are looking at bringing iPad into the business arena, e.g. hospitals, engineering companies etc. Your sketch and omnigraffle, while great apps, are toys on the ipad. A small niche. Engineers will use their workstations etc

On the other hand, a business grade project manager like OmniFocus, will be seen as a serious app and may launch you in the business market via the iPad.

Also, remember, once people buy into an app, like Things, they will be reluctant to switch as they have all their settings done and there is a barrier to exit.

Don't make the mistake to fragment your resources. You need to set priorities and that also means temporary stop-management for some development. now that Things has set a price, you can see the value of a true Omnifocus for iPad.
Things will seduce people from iPad into their iPhone and into their laptops/desktops. And in the process replace Omnifocus.
This is a dynamic market, don't even think you are safe with your current user base. They will leave you behind quickly if you are not in the market. End of the year, or even middle of the year will not cut it. Better be there by may 1st when the next user base on the iPad with 3G comes on line.

And finally, listen to your customers, they are your bread and butter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
A version of OmniFocus customized for the iPad is absolutely coming. The current setup - iPhone app on iPad - is strictly temporary.

We did OmniGraffle and OmniGraphSketcher first because drawing with your finger seemed a really good fit for the strengths of the iPad, and because those products didn't have iPhone OS apps in any form.

I wish we were in a position to develop on all of our projects simultaneously, but until we find that developer-cloning technology we keep hoping for, we will have to make tradeoffs from time to time. :-)

I can't quote you a specifics on when or in what sequence the other three apps will appear, but I can tell you we're working to get them to you as fast as possible, and that we're constantly revising our plans from week to week and even day to day.

The "late 2010" estimate was our best guess at the moment that post was made; I have a feeling that the situation today looks somewhat different. I'm compiling a list of questions that folks are asking to pass along to Ken later today - I'll make sure "OmniFocus for iPad" gets a section on that list. Thanks, guys!

It works, but it's ugly. Would love an in app purchase to upgrade to something that looks more suitable for the iPad.

My goal is to use OF iPad @Work for planning and review. The split screen setup of most apps is perfect for OF.

Actually, I'm seeing at least 3 of my existing apps have been upgraded to have clear iPad versions. Pandora already includes the split screen.

So, I'll be clear on my expectations, if there are no new significant features on OF iPad, I expect for it to be handled the same way.

If I have to pay just to get clear text, that starts a different relationship heading towards the sour side.

OF iPhone is the most expensive app I've purchased. The $10 calculator I bought has been made to look wonderful on this screen.

Merged threads.