The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Feature Requests
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

fix JS for maps/local.google.com Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
It would be great if maps.google.com worked with OmniWeb. It used to work pretty well if I have OW tell google it's safari, but now it's not working so well in sp7

Hrm, are you sure you're still spoofing as Safari? If I spoof as Safari 1.2.3 or Safari 2.0.3 Google maps works just fine.

The problem here is that Google Maps only works properly when spoofed as Safari 2.0.3, but then Gmail stops working. I have to return to a native OW presence for it. The only way for everyone to be happy for the moment is to spoof as Firefox.

...or for Google to fix their crummy browser detection code, perchance?

Actually, some functionality is still broken when spoofing as Safari 2.0.3. Try double-clicking anywhere on a map. The correct behavior is to recenter around that point. However, OmniWeb instead moves the map excessively in a direction whose reference point is quite a challenge to decipher.

Also, when spoofed as Firefox, the double-clicking ability is completely lost.

These are current behaviors in sp11.

Last edited by earthsaver; 2006-05-18 at 07:42 PM..

I was playing with google maps yesterday and noticed that there are a couple WebKit issues currently. It looks like these have been fixed in recent WebKit builds.

This topic has been quiet for a month.

I'm getting tired of launching Firefox to use Google Maps. So I'd like to see if I can trick Google into providing Maps in SP15.

Gmail compatibility in OW is not required because I use Apple Mail for my Gmail account.

What's the current best spoofing for Google Maps?

I can use Google maps in SP15.

The only thing that seems "broken" is the double-click centering. And this DOES work in the WebKit we're supposed to test against (Version 2.0.3 (417.9.3))

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handycam
I can use Google maps in SP15.
I've been so accustomed to rejection by Google that I didn't test before writing my earlier note. :o

When I tried maps.google.com, a map appeared! Yes!

Then I checked my OW SP15 browser identity preference for <google.com> -- set to Firefox 1.5.0.1 (Mac OS X).

When I change it back to OmniWeb, Google maps says ...
Your web browser is not fully supported by Google Maps. More information »
So I've changed back to Firefox spoofing. (Safari 2.0.3 also seems to work.)

I haven't done a detailed comparison of Safari vs. Firefox spoofing. If anyone has, it would be interesting to know which works better.

Last edited by Ward; 2006-06-21 at 11:52 AM.. Reason: fix typo

Ah! Mine was set to Safari 1.2.3. Not sure why, I don't remember ever setting site prefs for Google.com. As you said, 2.03 works too, and I'm now using that.

However, the message that you're getting is Google's fault. They're checking the browser and rejecting OW flat out. This is common -- if bad -- practice. OW 5.5 obviously DOES work, once you fool their stupid script into thinking it's something else.

And I'd guess that spoofing Safari is a better idea, because then you'd get Javascript and CSS optimized for WebKit as opposed to Gecko.