The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Alpha Aggravation Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
The daily updating process for the OF 1.1 Alpha is getting irksome. Especially if I don't launch/update every-day and the OF app refuses to launch because it is out of date and crashes when attempting to update! (Bad way to start the day. )

I was going to demonstrate OF to a friend but it refused to launch, demanded to be updated. Crashed, then opened mail to send a bug report. "Oh never mind"... (that's a bad impression for both me and Omni)

Omni is adding additional functionality to 1.1 Alpha (new sync methods ). (?!#%@#) Can we please move OF 1.1 towards beta or at least stop forcing me to upgrade from stable alpha versions.

Pretty Please....

I didn't ask to be a beta (alpha) tester ... I bought OF for the iPhone. (and visa versa)

I've been a big fan of Omni & Omni Products, but OF has left me aggravated especially after all the hype. I also thought that with Ethen and Merlin on board we would see a steady stream of training / "how to" type info. So far I've only seen one single "basic" video.... c'mon... Is there other training / documentation out there? Is it hiding somewhere?

Please "Focus" on a stable version of 1.1 and "Focus" on training / documentation, so that we can use OF more effectively.

I'd rather see "rough" training video's on existing features, than use a "rough" application with new features. (my $0.02) We are talking about productivity here....

Thanks for considering my grumpy suggestions.

Jason

Fwiw, set the update schedule to weekly if you don't want to install updates daily (or be asked to do so).

Thanks JKT! A weekly Update schedule makes alpha's significantly less irksome. (duh)

Did anyone else notice that we are are now on a 1.5 Alpha?
OmniFocus-1.5-r106053-Alpha.dmg

Curious what happened to 1.1 Beta and 1.1 Final?

With a precious few exceptions... I'm finding these Alpha's to be quite stable. But I haven't figured out what OF is capable of.... so I'm not exploring stuff beyond the absolute basics....

I'd be a much better Beta (Alpha) tester if there was some training / documentation to help people figure out what OF is capable of... and how the OmniCool features work. I refuse to wade through forum postings to reverse-understand how my OmniCool productivity app works.

Cheers,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
Thanks JKT! A weekly Update schedule makes alpha's significantly less irksome. (duh)
How? The whole point of the alpha is that you're helping test the latest revisions, not reporting problems that may already have been fixed. And in the early stages of the alpha, when bugs are being found and fixed at a rapid rate, why would you want to wait any longer than necessary to get a fix for a show-stopping bug? The database format change in going to 1.1/1.5 meant you couldn't easily go back to work while you waited.
Quote:
Did anyone else notice that we are are now on a 1.5 Alpha?
OmniFocus-1.5-r106053-Alpha.dmg

Curious what happened to 1.1 Beta and 1.1 Final?
From the release notes plastered up on your screen each time you download a new version:

Updated version number to 1.5, because this release turned out to be a lot bigger than originally planned.
Quote:
With a precious few exceptions... I'm finding these Alpha's to be quite stable. But I haven't figured out what OF is capable of.... so I'm not exploring stuff beyond the absolute basics....

I'd be a much better Beta (Alpha) tester if there was some training / documentation to help people figure out what OF is capable of... and how the OmniCool features work. I refuse to wade through forum postings to reverse-understand how my OmniCool productivity app works.
In my opinion, if you aren't willing to experiment, and aren't willing to read the forum (or the release notes), you might as well wait for the product to ship. There is rarely finished documentation before then, as their products are developed in a rather fluid fashion, incorporating user feedback through the alpha process to a wonderful degree. They'd be crazy to spend a bunch of effort on training videos when the UI is still in a state of flux.

The documentation is actually mostly done, and what we have finished is already available within OmniFocus' Help menu.

It sounds like you've already found the OmniFocus Basics video. There's also one on Perspectives here: http://downloads.extremesims.com/omn...ocus_persp.mov

There's also a 'map' of OmniFocus here:
http://www.omnigroup.com/images/appl...ifocus-map.pdf

If you have specific questions, or find any portion of our documentation confusing or incomplete, please let us know. (omnifocus@omnigroup.com) Our Support Ninjas are catching up on the queues and should be able to reply to your emails within a day or two.

Quote:
From the release notes plastered up on your screen each time you download a new version:
When I open OF... I'm getting to work. So i don't usually explore / test / read release notes every-time I open the app. I don't do daily consumption of twitters, forums, blogs.

I like comprehensive info. There's difference is between Big Picture information and daily tidbits.

I'm voicing an opinion. I'm asking for less *new* features on 1.1 and more accessible documentation.

Quote:
When I open OF... I'm getting to work. So i don't usually explore / test / read release notes every-time I open the app. I don't do daily consumption of twitters, forums, blogs.

I like comprehensive info. There's difference is between Big Picture information and daily tidbits.

I'm voicing an opinion. I'm asking for less *new* features on 1.1 and more accessible documentation.
It's a valid opinion, but to me, it suggests you shouldn't be alpha or beta testing your tools. Nothing wrong with that! I'd be willing to bet that Omni doesn't do its production software builds with a toolchain that is in alpha test, either.

The most recent "Sneaky" is called a release candidate so I would suspect a finish line to this, if you tire of the process, is in sight ;-)

Quote:
Please let us know what you have in mind with regard to making our documentation more accessible.