The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Making an Action a Project? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi folks,

I find that I often capture actions to my Inbox that are, in fact, projects. Right now, I can manually drag the action to the Projects list and viola, it's a project.

I'm looking for faster ways of processing my Inbox so I can more easily make these actions into projects. Is there a plan to introduce a keyboard shortcut that'll do this?

Thanks,

Jason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong
Hi folks,

I find that I often capture actions to my Inbox that are, in fact, projects. Right now, I can manually drag the action to the Projects list and viola, it's a project.

I'm looking for faster ways of processing my Inbox so I can more easily make these actions into projects. Is there a plan to introduce a keyboard shortcut that'll do this?

Thanks,

Jason.

you can quickly make a new project by entering a new project name in the project collumn and then typing apple+return...does that help?

Quote:

It's already there.

Cmd-[ will "outdent" an action into a new project. (It will then appear at the bottom of the Projects list.)

With the task selected (but no cursor active in any of the fields), the L key (for "move left") will have the same effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbrown00
you can quickly make a new project by entering a new project name in the project collumn and then typing apple+return...does that help?
It doesn't, unfortunately; if I have "Install DSL", captured via QuickEntry to get it out of my brain and into my Inbox, I'd have to copy/paste or retype "Install DSL" in the Project field, and have a Project with an action that's not really actionable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig
It's already there.

Cmd-[ will "outdent" an action into a new project. (It will then appear at the bottom of the Projects list.)

With the task selected (but no cursor active in any of the fields), the L key (for "move left") will have the same effect.
That's close, but not quite perfect: any actions that happen to be underneath the selected item become indented as part of that selected item. For example, if I had:

Install DSL
Call Tom about cat
Buy iPhone

And I "outdented" "Install DSL", I'd end up with:

Install DSL
* Call Tom about cat
* Buy iPhone

With "Install DSL" as a Project on the left side.

Even worse, if I then re-indented "Install DSL", all the items underneath it remain a part of of it.

This is particularly unfortunate if I have 20 items in my Inbox, and I outdented the first one: I now have 1 item in my inbox and 19 sub-items!

This may be a bug in implementation, so I'll send this in via the Feedback mechanism.

Thanks for the pointers.

Jason.

Quote:
That's close, but not quite perfect: any actions that happen to be underneath the selected item become indented as part of that selected item. For example, if I had:

Install DSL
Call Tom about cat
Buy iPhone

And I "outdented" "Install DSL", I'd end up with:

Install DSL
* Call Tom about cat
* Buy iPhone

With "Install DSL" as a Project on the left side.

Even worse, if I then re-indented "Install DSL", all the items underneath it remain a part of of it.

This is particularly unfortunate if I have 20 items in my Inbox, and I outdented the first one: I now have 1 item in my inbox and 19 sub-items!

This may be a bug in implementation, so I'll send this in via the Feedback mechanism.
Yup, I've run into that. Actually let me revise my tip.

Use Ctrl-Cmd-[ ("Move left" instead of "Outdent") and it will do what you want.

The second tip I gave (using "L") also works as you want, but requires that the cursor not be active. Ctrl-Cmd-[ works no matter what.