The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > Community > Omni Lounge
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The great Panic ripoff (and OmniWeb - sort of - too)... Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
This is quite funny in a sad way: Ripoff - the Panic Transmit icon (and others) being ripped off by other web sites.

Being the eagle-eyed person I am, take a look at image rip-27.jpg near the very bottom ("Here you can buy a nice web site template...") and notice the globe icon to the right of the panic ripoff... do my eyes deceive me or is that one of Rickster's alternative OmniWeb icons?

Edit: Here's the image itself:

Have you seen the IE7 icon?

Microsoft performing a shameless rip-off of someone else's talent - I would never have thought... ;)

One thing weird. I guess I am missing something as a non artist guy.

I noticed a turkish word there immediately and when I clicked, it was Apple Turkey store.

The stuff there are legit Apple products and Apple Turkey is now "IMC" status owned by Turkish giant holding Koc group. ( http://www.koc.com.tr )

Is there any Panic icons there? Am I missing something? It is writing "Yeni iMac" on the "poster".

I am a customer of them too. Should I contact them to ask what got ripped off? Or I should contact Apple Turkey which is very older than you guess and tell there is something wrong in their site?

I can't contact Apple TR even knowing (somehow) their CEO since I am not sure what Panic complains about.

An IMC handling many countries will of course copy Apple Store since they run Apple IMC store, I bet even software they use there is coming from Apple Inc. itself.

If it is something else,I really didn't figure.

The site in full is at http://www.apple.com.tr , because of Turkish domain name guidelines, they had to use their company name at URL http://www.bilkom.com.tr instead of Apple very long time (1994-2004)

I felt the need of sending mail to their founder guys as I somehow feel someone tricked Panic big time.

edit: Forgot to thank topic starter JKT. Thanks.

Last edited by Ilgaz; 2006-05-13 at 07:14 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilgaz
Is there any Panic icons there? Am I missing something?
The Transmit icon is on the right. It is highlighted when you mouse over the image (it takes a small amount of time to fully load).

Oh.. I will make the webmaster fired ;) Well, they better question him/her where did that gfx come from...

I updated my mail to Panic founders and webmaster. I also sent mail to my contact who knows Apple TR ceo directly.

It is very sad considering we have good,old web with in house coded PHP, w3c standards and great history. Shame.

Last edited by Ilgaz; 2006-05-14 at 12:39 AM..

Update: I finally managed to inform the victim (yes, they too) about the shameless stealing of a mac house icon.

They cared about it.

Also informed Panic.

Last edited by Ilgaz; 2006-05-15 at 11:09 PM..