The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Extras
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Finder item to OF? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Has anyone made a script, or considered making a script, that could take a finder item and create a new item in OF with a link to that item?

If you could use that script with Quicksilver to send an object to OF, or even better, with Hazel to make a 'create-action-drop-folder', that would be crazy cool.

I don't really have the applescript skills to set this up myself.

Well, i took the plunge and had a go at writing an Applescript to use with Hazel myself. Although, when I say write, i actually mean 'steal bits and pieces from other scripts'. Some of the code is appropriated from Curt's 'Send Safari URL to OF' script. Thanks/sorry.

Here's the basics about how to use it:

#1 - Install Hazel (a cool piece of software that monitors folders and applies rules to the contents)

#2 - Make an applescript that includes something like the following code:

Code:
property actionPrefix : "Read "

my hazelProcessFile(leFiche)

on hazelProcessFile(leFiche)

tell application "Finder"

set theName to the displayed name of leFiche

set theLink to the URL of leFiche

end tell

tell front document of application "OmniFocus"
		make new inbox task with properties {name:(actionPrefix & theName), note:theLink}
	end tell

end hazelProcessFile
#3 - create a 'drop folder' of some description, and apply a Hazel rule to it that runs your applescript

That's it. It gives OF the feel of the kind of paper based system that David Allen described.

Other random ideas for the future:

- Assigning a context based on the drop folder's name
- Some way of deleting or moving files based on their associated task's completion status

Last edited by markbrown00; 2007-07-27 at 02:50 PM..

I released my own version.

It can be used as a:
  • Dropplet:
    Drop one or several file on AddFileToInbox_Dropplet.app
    For more ease, you can put AddFileToInbox_Dropplet.app in the Dock.
  • Folder action:
    Attach AddFileToInbox_Script.scpt as a Folder Action to the folder of your choice.
    The creation of a file in this folder will launch the script.
  • Finder selection:
    Run AddFileToInbox_Dropplet.app or AddFileToInbox_Script.scpt with the method of your choice.
    The selection of the front Finder window is used as the input items.

I also added Growl support.

You can download the script here: http://www.cerquant.com/software

Let me know what you think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbrown00 View Post
Has anyone made a script, or considered making a script, that could take a finder item and create a new item in OF with a link to that item?

If you could use that script with Quicksilver to send an object to OF, or even better, with Hazel to make a 'create-action-drop-folder', that would be crazy cool.

I don't really have the applescript skills to set this up myself.
Adding an OmniFocus clipping plugin for Finder is on our feature-freeze list, but thanks to the folks above it looks like there are some interim solutions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutin View Post
You can download the script here: http://www.cerquant.com/software
Hi Lutin,
I'd like to download your script but the link doesn't work...could you upload it somewhere?
thx a lot
Nestor

Hi,

Sorry for the interruption of service.

The scripts are back online.

Let me know if you find them useful, want more feature...

Cheers,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutin View Post
Hi,

Sorry for the interruption of service.

The scripts are back online.

Let me know if you find them useful, want more feature...

Cheers,
Hi Lutin,
thanks a lot for the upload...very useful scripts! I have a question: I had tried, before finding this post, to make something similar but didn't succeed in showing the link (that is presented in the note) as a real hyperlink showing the name of the file instead of the position of it; do you think it's possible to do it directly from the script?

merci beaucoup
nestor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nestor View Post
Hi Lutin,
thanks a lot for the upload...very useful scripts! I have a question: I had tried, before finding this post, to make something similar but didn't succeed in showing the link (that is presented in the note) as a real hyperlink showing the name of the file instead of the position of it; do you think it's possible to do it directly from the script?

merci beaucoup
nestor
Nestor, I'm glad the scripts are useful to you.

Task note are rtf text, so in theory yes.
But I haven't seen anything in the OF Applescript dictionnary to do this.
I haven't searched very long, and unfortunately don't have time for it right now.
I would not use this feature, as I like to see the full path. However, if someone code it, I would gladly merge this option into the script.

Cheers,

Hi Lutin, I just downloaded a couple scripts from your website. Thanks for making them available.