The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Extras
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Birthday Importer Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Does anyone know if there's a way to have OmniFocus import birthdays from my addressbook as actions? It'd be great if I could get OmniFocus to automatically add an action such as "Wish ... a happy birthday" as an yearly repeating action, starting at 00:00 and ending at 23:59.

That would be very good, but there is no way to do it other than manually.

Edit: Unless someone could create an AppleScript to do it automagically?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKT View Post
That would be very good, but there is no way to do it other than manually.

Edit: Unless someone could create an AppleScript to do it automagically?
I considered trying to do that myself, but I'm still thinking of how to work around one possible problems: how to correct things on the OmniFocus database if someone's name is corrected in the addressbook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoaoPinheiro View Post
I considered trying to do that myself, but I'm still thinking of how to work around one possible problems: how to correct things on the OmniFocus database if someone's name is corrected in the addressbook.
There's an old programmer's motto:

Never test for an error condition you don't want (or know how) to handle :D

Seriously, a script that simply created new entries for all the selected cards would be 95% of what most people would need, I think. How often do you change someone's name in the address book, if you know them well enough to know their birthday? The grunt work is in getting all the actions created, and you'll save enough time with the script that having to tweak one here or there by hand isn't going to be a big imposition. The 90/90 rule of project management applies here: the first 90% of the work takes 90% of the time, and the last 10% of the work takes the other 90% of the time :)