The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Extras
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-platform batch script to fill my inbox Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi OmniGroup,

I am a regular user of both Omnifocus and Omnifocus for iPhone. The application works fine form me except that I spend a lot of time at my office where my computer is not a Mac. I can still use the iPhone to drop stuff into my inbox but this gets painfull as their number grows. The iPhone is fine for many operations but definitly not for typing. I would be very happy to find a way to capture my plain text items and push them in my remote webdav repository as new inbox entries. Is there any script I could use for that on my Windows box? I do not want to use any other third party tool at office and then manually import them to omnifocus at home. It is critical to have just one inbox repository and be able to synchronize on my iPhone and get immediately my new stuff in the inbox.

If you are in a position to leave your mac running while you are at work, then you could configure the omnifocus mail link. Just send the tasks you need to your mac, prefixed with your special characters (set in the preferences) and omnifocus will put them into your inbox. (or if you include context and project the 'correct' place)

My wife uses this approach to send me the shopping list to collect on the way home.

A 'proper' web solution would be a godsend though.

With the send-to-omnifocus@omnigroup.com service, you can do this without involving a Mac. You send a message to that address and get one back that has a link you can click to add the text to OmniFocus. So, if you don't want to type on the iPhone, you could copy the text you want into an email of your PC, send it off to the service, then rad the response on your iPhone a few seconds later and tap the link to get it added to OmniFocus via the quick entry panel where you can add dates, context, etc.

I know the send-to-omnifocus service but it does not help me. I have to wait to be at home and to manually run mailapp to have my inbox filled. If I could have my inbox filled with a script I would be able to sychronize on my iPhone and use my material straight. My main point is not to use my iPhone to capture stuff in my inbox.

No, you don't be at home, and your Mac doesn't have to be running, you just have to have your iPhone with you. You email send-to-omnifocus@omnigroup.com, you get an email back a few seconds later which you read on your iPhone, tap the link, and the data is added to OmniFocus right there on your iPhone. You don't even need to be able to read your work email (from which you sent the message on your PC) on your iPhone — you can forward the message to your personal account.

I think perhaps you are confusing the send-to-omnifocus@omnigroup.com email service with the Mac OS X service installed by OmniFocus which is labeled "OmniFocus: Send to Inbox" in the Services menu...

It doesn't work for anything but plain text, but it's pretty useful, and you can use it today.

Here's what the message from the service looks like:

Here's what you get in OmniFocus after tapping the Send to OmniFocus link in the gray bar across the top of the message:

(Yeah, I know you have an iPhone, not an iPad, but my iPad is the one close at hand)

I see. I was confused with the service. Thanks for pointing me out the explaination. I'm very closer to what I want to do. But I still have an issue here: How do I send an email to send-to-omnifocus@omnigroup.com from dominik@work and receive my emails on dominik@home? I don't have acces to my personnal email from my office.

Is there anything simpler than setup an alias on my home account (and tweak my procmailrc file) changes the from field of my email to get the following path: dominik-omnifocus@home -> send-to-omnifocus@omnigroup.com -> dominik@home?

I could also replace the send-to-omnifocus@omnigroup.com service with my procmailrc script.

You send a message to send-to-omnifocus@omnigroup.com from your work account. The reply goes to your work account. Now just forward that message to your personal account. Surely you can read your personal account's email on your iPhone at work, no? When you read the email on your iPhone (in the iPhone's Mail app), you tap the link and the data goes to OmniFocus.

I'm happy to report that the bug reported here earlier has been addressed!

Last edited by whpalmer4; 2012-03-02 at 04:16 PM..

That provides a solution. However, I will setup an alias using procmail just to avoid the forward and miss something.

Anyway, thanks for the pointers.