The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Is there a "Next Action" view? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I bought omnifocus for the iphone, but I can't figure out how to look for all "next actions." I know that there is a "due soon" but not all of my actions have end dates. I don't want to have to go through each context/project to see what's out there, and I don't want to flag all of my items. Am I missing something easy? Thank you for any help.

I'd like to see this too. I use contexts most of the time, but often I have more than one context available (e.g. phone and laptop).

Mark

I agree, it'd be nice to see this as I too have a lot of actions that don't necessarily have due dates (I think I have an aversion to due dates).

I know you purchased OF, but you may want to look at "Things" as they have a different philosophy to this approach (not that I'm advocating for the competition!) :)

Oh believe me I've looked ;). I love it's interface and intuitiveness way beyond OF, but it's seriously lacking in features at the moment, and doesn't sync.

Mark

I bought omnifocus over things because of the extra features it has. I like giving each item both a project and context. So far omnifocus is great for figuring out what I need to do at the location that I'm currently at. But I also want to use it to plan out my day. For that, a complete list of all next actions is the best view to use. I know that "things" can do that, but I find it hard to believe that I can't do this somehow using this program.

Some experts may be able to chime in, but I don't believe this is possible without "Perspectives" (available on the Desktop version).

However, according to OmniGroup:
Quote:
Filtering (and by extension Perspectives and review intervals) would be pretty awkward on the phone. Maybe we could do it someday, but it would take quite an interface overhaul.
I wouldn't hold my breath.. There may be a kludgy work around though :confused:

On the Settings screen, you can set Contexts to show only next actions. They're still grouped by context, but each context will tell you how many next actions it contains.

Does that help?

Thanks for the official response!

When I want to plan out my day, I want a view where I can see all the things I need to do in one screen, regardless of context. Setting contexts to show next action would still require me to click on each context to see what's in it. So it doesn't work for me.

I have a feeling that many of your users don't need this view because they do most of their planning on the desktop version and the iphone works well for just figuring out the smaller details of what to do wherever you happen to be. It's an issue for me because I don't have the desktop omnifocus. I would like to use the program as a stand-alone product, and it's almost perfect for me. But that little view option is a big hitch for my flow.

Last edited by paulocastaneda; 2008-08-03 at 07:30 PM..

Maybe I'll try "Things" and see how that works out. I'm a little disappointed in this piece of software. When I bought it, I really thought that it would work as a stand alone product. I've been using it daily for a couple of weeks now to see if I just needed to get used to it. But I guess you really do need the desktop software to make it work properly.

I don't think this is the case. I haven't (and don't plan) on buying the Desktop version. I've gotten quite productive at managing all my tasks on this phone.

But as the old saying goes, to each his own. Hopefully is they get perspectives or some way of customizing the main folder (the home folder you see when you start OF), you'll be able to do what you want to.