The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Zoomed view ever coming? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
About a year ago, Ken Case stated that you guys were working on a type of zoomed view

"Of course, we're also giving the UI a facelift, and we're hoping to add a few other frequently-requested features as well. (Zoomed editing, anyone?)"

This is a must have feature for me, its pretty standard to be able to zoom in and out of the current view on pretty much any piece of software on the Mac. Why is this taking so long? I would have though this would have made it into beta or release long ago :(

Wow it probably has been almost a year since that post. We still have every intent to add zoomed editing but it won't be until the next major release. Perhaps this is a good time to plug this :D

We apologize you all are having to wait so long for this feature and thank you for your patience.

I STRONGLY second this request!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielK View Post
I STRONGLY second this request!
I strongly, strongly, and strongly third this request!

Even though Omni is more powerful, I've been using Opal instead for my writing given its ability to zoom in/out.

I'd also put this feature request as a top priority, maybe even before the next major release if possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zts-it View Post
I'd also put this feature request as a top priority, maybe even before the next major release if possible.
Sorry: we already did most of the work to implement this (over three years ago, when we were working on 3.5), but we ran into operating system bugs that prevented us from continuing with the existing drawing architecture. We've now completely rewritten the drawing architecture for OmniOutliner 4 with zooming as one of the primary goals, but that's not a minor change that we can just plug back into OmniOutliner 3. (It's also not yet finished!)

I apologize for the long wait; thanks for your patience!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
Sorry: we already did most of the work to implement this (over three years ago, when we were working on 3.5), but we ran into operating system bugs that prevented us from continuing with the existing drawing architecture. We've now completely rewritten the drawing architecture for OmniOutliner 4 with zooming as one of the primary goals, but that's not a minor change that we can just plug back into OmniOutliner 3. (It's also not yet finished!)

Thanks for the note. Yes, we will be patient, but needless to say, can't wait for version 4 beta . . .

I too very much crave a zoom view - rather than increasing the font and adjusting again for printed documents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourdebill View Post
I too very much crave a zoom view - rather than increasing the font and adjusting again for printed documents.
Exactly! It's a pain to outline everything in 13 or 12 and then have to reformat to 10 before printing (unless using gigantic font size on purpose). Having styles easily accessible definitively helps, but zooming would be a perfect solution. BTW, just for this reason, I transferred one of the Windows fonts (the one that MS is lately using for their GUI works) and it does help since the font is designed for the screen and its rather crisp and readable at 11 and inline notes at 10. Print is still a bit large at 11, but it falls within acceptable margins.

The other way around this would be to forget about zooming and add an option in the print dialog stating something like:
*reduce or increase all document font sizes by:*
[ ] -2 points .......... [ ] make it *default* for all OO docs
[ ] -1 point .......... [ ] make it *default* for all OO docs
[x] leave as is (default)
[ ] +1 point .......... [ ] make it *default* for all OO docs
[ ] +2 points .......... [ ] make it *default* for all OO docs

Anyways, just an idea :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post

Thanks for your quick and detailed response. Guys, I'm glad you are working on it and it's something I'm looking forward to. I've been using OO daily since I got my first PowerBook Titanium (on which OO was included by Apple). Now, several Macs later, OOPro3 stays open all day long on my MacBook Pro. Amazingly wonderful, practical, and super useful app (and it looks damn good, too). Really looking forward to OOP4.