The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Custom CSS seems partially broken in 5.5b4 Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Since I started using beta 4, I'm having problems with most or all of my CSS rules not being applied when visiting sites for which I've assigned a custom CSS file. The behavior is inconsistent. Sometimes when I add a rule (like a big red border around an element, just to see if it's targeting it correctly), then reload the page, the rule seems to be applied, but on subsequent reloads or visiting other pages, it's now gone, and once it's gone, I can't seem to get it back again.

Some weird caching or something else going on here. Very annoying; most of the customizations I made to hide ads or other things I don't want have stopped working in beta 4, and it's frustrating and difficult to tell if the changes I'm making in custom CSS files are doing anything or not.

When I copy the exact same rules from the custom CSS file, paste them into <style> tags in the source, and hit "redisplay", everything works exactly as I expect it to. But those same rules in the custom CSS file do nothing at all.

Something seems to have been broken in this latest beta.

I presume your custom css files are on the local machine using file: urls. I think a change was made that causes problems with file urls that aren't directories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len Case
I presume your custom css files are on the local machine using file: urls. I think a change was made that causes problems with file urls that aren't directories.
Well, in this case, I'm talking about the Style Sheet setting in the Page Appearance tab of the site preferences panel (or the same one in the overall prefs), so -- while OW might be retrieving it by a file: URL -- there's no URL involved from a user's point of view.

I can confirm - all my hard work in hand-crafting site css files is no longer working. This is not acceptable, I'll need to go back to b3 unless there's a work-around.

I have to agree; this bug is absolutely unacceptable and should be fixed as soon as possible. Easy per-site custom CSS is probably the biggest reason I use OmniWeb; I imagine this is true for a lot of others, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floach
Easy per-site custom CSS is probably the biggest reason I use OmniWeb; I imagine this is true for a lot of others, too.
You got it!

We've fixed this bug for the next release. Thanks for reporting it so quickly!

Can we get a build with this fixed, even for the SP crowd? I can't wait 2 weeks for this.

Also, from a marketing perspective, sending out such a broken public beta can't be good.

Forgive me for being a complete newbie to css and sounding really stupid here, but can css block javacript from specific urls?

Because OW's ad blocking doesn't seem to do this, which is the only major shortcoming I have found in the built in feature. (except for the lack of a list import feature, but that is tolerable.)

We have re-implemented javascript (and css or other resource) blocking for the release candidate.