The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraphSketcher > OmniGraphSketcher General
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

groups and bar graphs Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi All,

The current version of OGS only supports x y types of charts. A lot of what I do involves comparing one group to another (or more) and it would be great to have different types of charts for this situation (eg: bar graphs, group scatter plots),

Corentin

I absolutely agree. I teach a beginning statistics course, and OGS will be great for the "relationships" portion of the course with scatterplots and regression lines. But currently it doesn't provide useful options for looking at "differences" between groups.

The are probably several ways to do this, but it would be very useful to have something akin to a box plot. It doesn't need to be the technical box plot (which has quite a specific definition), but something that displayed for each "group" the relevant means and then plus/minus one standard deviation on either side of the mean. This would provide a useful visual for comparing means and standard deviations (or spreads) across 2 or more different groups.

If OGS had both the ability to provide visuals for "differences" between groups in addition to "relationships" between variables, then I think I'd make it required software for Mac-users in my courses.

By visual differences do you mean an inverted U-shaped line with a number of stars depending on the level of significativity??
I agree, we need that too,

Corentin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortig View Post
Hi All,

The current version of OGS only supports x y types of charts. A lot of what I do involves comparing one group to another (or more) and it would be great to have different types of charts for this situation (eg: bar graphs, group scatter plots),

Corentin
I agree. This is a nice program but I need to be able to quickly draw bar graphs for experiments. Being able to do error bars for the graphs would also be terrific. As it currently is implemented, it does not seem to me that you can do these things with the program.

Crutcher, can you tell us more about what you're looking for? In its current form OmniGraphSketcher can create both bar graphs and easily add error bars, either constant or from imported series. Here's a quick example
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	error bar bars.png
Views:	778
Size:	15.0 KB
ID:	1670