The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Paste text as List? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi,
I would like to be able to paste a list of items from another program as an outline in OmniOutliner. I have not found any way to do this using the menus. I don't want to convert to XML first, I just want to itemize an e-mail in OO.

Is this possible, or should I put this on the 'wishlist for OO'?

At the moment all the text is put in one outlineitem, and I have to -painstakingly- cut & paste the lines into outline items.

Using OmniOutliner Pro 3.6.3

Axel

Axel,

Not sure if this will help but this script takes the first line from the clipboard and make it a parent row and each subsequent line a child of that parent. So you could have a list like

Get a store
Milk
Eggs
Bread

and it will make a list out of it.

tell front document of application "OmniOutliner Professional"
set passcount to 1
repeat with currentLine in every paragraph of (the clipboard as string)
if passcount = 1 then
set passcount to 2
set theProject to currentLine
set parentRow to make new row at end of rows of with properties {topic:theProject}
else
make new row at end of parentRow with properties {topic:currentLine}

end if
end repeat
end tell

You should be able to just paste it in and have it appear as an outline. However, to make it appear with each item as a separate entry you first need to escape out of the text entry field (that is press the Escape key so that you aren't about to input text into an outline item, then paste your data there). I've made a short screencast of this in action (sorry gcrump, I needed some source text for my outline so I copied your rather conveniently formatted post for the purpose). You can view it here (~256kb in size).

You'll see me first paste in an entry field - result is what you probably experience now. Then I undo, press Escape to move up to the root level of the outline and paste again the same text - voila, insta-outline. Undo again then paste again.

Last edited by JKT; 2008-01-08 at 02:20 PM.. Reason: Clarified my meaning - initial post was not precise with the language it used to describe the text entry field/content area