The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Has OmniPresence broken numbering? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have a simple outline with three style levels of numbering (Roman, Letters, Arabic).

I style it on my Mac, and when I open it on my iPad all the numbers are gone.

When I check the numbering on my iPad by clicking on the Wrench, Styles, and look at each of the three styles, the numbers are set up correctly.

Does anyone know why numbering "vanishes" on the iPad side?

Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I can't replicate this, so I suggest emailing support, including a sample document if possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
I can't replicate this, so I suggest emailing support, including a sample document if possible.
Hey, Andrew, I sort of got to the bottom of this. Well, at least I was able to create a brand-new outline that allowed accurate syncing.

Now I'm stymied by the following:

On the iPad, Move Left and Move Right correctly indent, change the style, and change the level numbering.

But on my Mac, Move Left and Move Right only change formatting and indent; they don't correctly change the number (although the same commands work for the numbering change on the iPad).

Any idea on this? I'll start a new topic if you want.

Both of these sound like incompatibilities between the iPad and Mac apps. Are you using OO3 or OO4? Due to recent style changes in OO4, the iPad app will need to be updated to support level styles. Please contact support and send example files as that will be the easiest way to identify what the problem is. Thanks!

Santra, I'm guessing you're using the OmniOutliner 4 test builds, as I can replicate your problem there. This is a bug introduced with some in-progress style system changes: we're propagating the numbering setting in certain cases where we shouldn't be, which means the numbering setting is getting copied from the level styles to the rows themselves. If you clear the numbering setting on the affected rows, they will return to the correct numbering style, and will work going forward, but until we can fix this bug, any newly-created rows are going to get the numbering "baked in" and won't work as desired if you indent/outdent or if you subsequently change the numbering setting on the corresponding level style. Sorry about that.

(If you're seeing this behavior and you're _not_ using the level styles, please let us know exactly how to reproduce it.)

Santra, I think this is fixed in current builds. You'll have to manually clear any extraneous settings in existing documents, unfortunately, but going forward it shouldn't be a problem. To remove all the row-specific numbering on documents that suffer from this (should only be recently-modified documents, as this bug was introduced quite recently), select all rows and click on the little x beside the Numbering control in the inspector and you'll get whatever numbering is applied via the level styles.

Quote:
Santra, I'm guessing you're using the OmniOutliner 4 test builds
I'm not. I'm using 3.

I tried to get on the beta for 4 two months ago. I was told, "We'll put you on the list, but you'll be above 10,000 or 20,000, so you might as well forget it."

Hence, I am NOT using OO 4.

I'm really confused by both your posts and Omni policy.

I thought the policy was to contact support. I was told above to do that. I did. I provided them all the information. All my version numbers, everything. They responded, "Oh, someone's already responded in the forums. Go look there."

Where does OG want us to ask for support? In the forums or by email? I'm really confused.

Here's everything I told OG Support in an email:

Since I don't really know how to get support from OG, here's what I emailed OG Support:

I have:

OmniPresence
OmniOutliner for iPad (latest version; iOS is also latest version)
OmniOutliner for Mac 3.10.6
(here are its stats:

Build details:

Product: OmniOutlinerStandard-3.x
Tag: OmniOutliner/3.10.6/GM-v143.87
Date: 2012-10-25 14:58:31 -0700
Builder: omnibuild
Host: tb106a.private.omnigroup.com
Revision: 174596

Xcode: /Developer
Xcode 3.2.5
Component versions: DevToolsCore-1763.0; DevToolsSupport-1758.0
BuildVersion: 10M2423

/tags/OmniOutliner/3.10.6/GM-v143.87/OmniGroup/Configurations 174596
/tags/OmniOutliner/3.10.6/GM-v143.87/OmniGroup/Frameworks/OmniBase 174596
/tags/OmniOutliner/3.10.6/GM-v143.87/OmniGroup/Frameworks/OmniFoundation 174596
/tags/OmniOutliner/3.10.6/GM-v143.87/OmniGroup/Frameworks/OmniAppKit 174596
/tags/OmniOutliner/3.10.6/GM-v143.87/OmniGroup/Frameworks/OmniSoftwareUpdate 174596
/tags/OmniOutliner/3.10.6/GM-v143.87/OmniGroup/Frameworks/OmniInspector 174596
/tags/OmniOutliner/3.10.6/GM-v143.87/OmniGroup/Frameworks/OmniAppKit 174596
/tags/OmniOutliner/3.10.6/GM-v143.87/OmniGroup/Applications/CrashCatcher/Framework 174596
/tags/OmniOutliner/3.10.6/GM-v143.87/OmniGroup/Internal/Store/OmniZuul 174596
/tags/OmniOutliner/3.10.6/GM-v143.87/Nisus/LinkBack/Source 174596
/tags/OmniOutliner/3.10.6/GM-v143.87/OmniGroup/Frameworks/OmniMachO 174596
/tags/OmniOutliner/3.10.6/GM-v143.87/OmniGroup/Applications/CrashCatcher/CrashReports 174596
/tags/OmniOutliner/3.10.6/GM-v143.87/OmniGroup/Applications/CrashCatcher/App 174596
/tags/OmniOutliner/3.10.6/GM-v143.87/OmniGroup/Tools/OmniAppleScriptTester 174596
/tags/OmniOutliner/3.10.6/GM-v143.87/OmniGroup/Tools/OmniLocalization 174596
/tags/OmniOutliner/3.10.6/GM-v143.87/OmniGroup/Frameworks/OmniCoreImage 174596
/tags/OmniOutliner/3.10.6/GM-v143.87/OmniGroup/Tools/strip-omni 174596
/tags/OmniOutliner/3.10.6/GM-v143.87/OmniGroup/Frameworks/OmniStyle 174596
/tags/OmniOutliner/3.10.6/GM-v143.87/OmniGroup/Localizations/Resources/OmniOutliner 174596
/tags/OmniOutliner/3.10.6/GM-v143.87/Apple/Frameworks/DotMacKit 174596
/tags/OmniOutliner/3.10.6/GM-v143.87/OmniGroup/Applications/OmniOutliner 174596
/tags/OmniOutliner/3.10.6/GM-v143.87/OmniGroup/Scripts 174596
/tags/OmniOutliner/3.10.6/GM-v143.87/OmniGroup/DiskImageTemplates 174596

Here is my problem:

1. I set up numbering for an outline on the Mac side, implementing numbering for the first three levels.
2. I have "Automatic Level Styles" turned on in my outline, as that is the only way to get "Move Left" and "Move Right" to change (1) the level, (2) the style), and (3) the numbering all together. (Otherwise, only the styling changes, not the numbering.)
3. The numbering AND the styles are stripped when OmniPresence syncs the outline to my iPad and I open it on my iPad. The rows suddenly have NO levels or styles attached (to any of them).

Quote:
Santra, I think this is fixed in current builds. You'll have to manually clear any extraneous settings in existing documents, unfortunately, but going forward it shouldn't be a problem. To remove all the row-specific numbering on documents that suffer from this (should only be recently-modified documents, as this bug was introduced quite recently), select all rows and click on the little x beside the Numbering control in the inspector and you'll get whatever numbering is applied via the level styles.
Andrew, "current builds" of what? OO3 or OO4? You don't specify. And in this case, it really really matters.

More importantly, should I be posting HERE for support, or emailed OG support?

Sorry; I've been assuming OO4 because there I was able to reproduce what I was thinking you were describing, but was unable to reproduce it in OO3. Definitely continue via email, please.

Sorry for the confusion. Neither Andrew or I answer support tickets so he was unaware of the information you sent into support and so kept posting suggestions. We try to help on the forums as much as we can and answers may come from any Omni employee on the forums. But emailing will always be best option when you have questions specifically for us and not for other forum users. If I notice other threads being moved to support email I will try to drop a note in the forum post so there are not multiple conversations going on.

Andrew was under the assumption you were using OO4 so his comments are not directly applicable to your situation. Please see Aaron's last email to you and reply to that if you have any further questions. Thanks!